Smartphones suck

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
wart57
just can't quit you.

Re: Smartphones suck

Post by wart57 »

JCShutout wrote:Bowling? Why not just download some bowling app and swipe some strikes?

I can lookup baseball (and hockey) scores on a computer. If I don't have access, I can, like, wait a few days to see how the team did in the past week.

Streaming games? My little radio from the 1980s (that I got for $2 at a rummage sale 6 or 7 years ago) streams KMOX just fine.

Molly... you've become one of them. I... I just can't talk to you right now. Seriously though, I was able to barely find a 4g lte flip phone, which should be able to handle those MMS. If it doesn't, I think I'll return it and just disable texting. I'll find out when its delivered this week.

Mort, dude, seriously, sign me up for single payer! ... But that's for another forum...
----------------------------------------------------------------
Also, we never talked about pros for flip phones.

-Durable.

-Not a security risk.

-No data mining.

-About 1/3 the radiation emitted.

-Fits in your pocket.

-Affordable.

-No one wants to steal it.

-People don't expect you to answer emails or texts right away, or even within the week.

-My battery lasts around a week between charges.

-and the single most important thing, if nothing else was a plus and the smartphone cons were all eliminated, this would still be enough to make flip phones the best...
[SHOW]
You can answer your phone like Captain Kirk.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I was non-social before smart phones. I do make some effort not to let it substitute for just waiting and people watching, which can be fun at times.

I'm highly in favor of texting over speaking - I'm funnier that way, and communicate ideas more effectively.

What struck me was walking around Chicago a couple years ago. I generally don't walk and read my phone unless it's a short distance and I'm finding a podcast or some music for the drive, but everyone there was reading their phones and walking. One guy almost got hit, which I imagine is routine. Really odd when you stop and watch it for a while.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Leroy wrote: All the things I used to have to carry around are in this little box. I don't know how the Chinese do this, but they are amazing!
Racist.
An old Chinese woman said this would happen. :(

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Leroy, I'll give you the diabetes tracker, but my flip phone has a calendar, timer, stopwatch, alarms, calculator, voice recorder, contacts, conversion thingy. The rest, email, mint, espn, meh, I don't want access to that all the time.
cardinalkarp wrote:I get people being engrossed in their phones all day is off-putting, but smartphones definitely do not suck.
Incorrect. This has already been established in the title and OP, and refutations have been taken to school. Keep up dude.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I've got a great retort to Jc but need to waint until Im on a PC to type it ojt proper. Añomigies foe the typos- ony smaot pjlne.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Freed Roger wrote:I've got a great retort to Jc but need to waint until Im on a PC to type it ojt proper. Añomigies foe the typos- ony smaot pjlne.
Okay, jim.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Using my smartphone I was just able to assist jcshutout with a query received on my smartphone.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/9th-grade ... attention/
Take 400 Cress seeds and place them into 12 trays. Then place six trays in two rooms at the same temperature. Give them the same amount of water and sun over 12 days, and remember to expose half of them to mobile [Wi-Fi] radiation.

--

Then it was just necessary to wait 12 days, observe, measure, weigh and take pictures along the way. And the result spoke was clear: cress seeds next to the router did not grow, and some of them were even mutated or dead.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Gashouse wrote:http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/9th-grade ... attention/
Take 400 Cress seeds and place them into 12 trays. Then place six trays in two rooms at the same temperature. Give them the same amount of water and sun over 12 days, and remember to expose half of them to mobile [Wi-Fi] radiation.

--

Then it was just necessary to wait 12 days, observe, measure, weigh and take pictures along the way. And the result spoke was clear: cress seeds next to the router did not grow, and some of them were even mutated or dead.
I'm not sure if this was posted ironically, but that is clearly a crank website.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

When can I get my implant, so I don't have to carry the phone?