Smartphones suck

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Smartphones suck

Post by Arthur Dent »

JCShutout wrote:So, in all seriousness, is this still a problem. Do phones activate in your pocket much?
I've never had this problem. All the touchscreen phones I've had required a physical button press to activate.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Who wants to play baseball?! This butter churn is really fun!

Some changes are exceptional. Some are not.

Cars? Yes.
Baseball? Yes.
Smart phones? A butter churn is preferable.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Upgraded phone and case. Baseball history and protection to boot.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

That is super cool

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

This was an unexpected bump.

The other day I tossed my phone on the car, threw some things in the car, got in and drove off. Made a turn onto a major road and the flip phone goes bouncing 20-25 ft away. Pull over, get it when traffic dies down. Still works. A few nicks but works great. $15.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I downshifted my smartphone usage about a year ago and I genuinely feel healthier for it. The real trick wasn't to ditch the smartphone but rather to change my data plan in a way that modifies behavior. I went from an iPhone on a data thirsty Sprint plan to a Moto X4 on a hassle-free pay as you go plan on Google Fi. I still have all the upside but am forced to be more intentional about how I use my phone.

Instead of burying my face in my phone while waiting in line for a burrito at Chipotle, I force myself to interact with the people around me. Of course I could browse the internet to pass the time, but that'll cost me money. When you're forced to pay for what you use you realize how meaningless a lot of your data usage really is. And when you pick your head up, you realize how interesting the real world is around you.

(By the way, I use no more than 0.5GB per month now. And this is without depriving myself. I work from home, rely hopelessly on e-mail and Slack, and frequently travel for work. It's amazing that once upon a time I let Sprint convince me that I needed to pay for 8+ GB per month of data.)

I'm not saying this is the right way for everyone to live. And I certainly haven't beat the twitch to reach for my phone nor have I perfected mindfulness - I still play Super Stickman Golf, watch MLB highlights, and browse Reddit while out and about - but I at least do it with some awareness of what I'm doing. The smartphone was never the problem. I was. And paying for what I use has helped me exercise some self-control.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

That phone case is rad, Rad.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Hoot45 wrote:I downshifted my smartphone usage about a year ago and I genuinely feel healthier for it. The real trick wasn't to ditch the smartphone but rather to change my data plan in a way that modifies behavior. I went from an iPhone on a data thirsty Sprint plan to a Moto X4 on a hassle-free pay as you go plan on Google Fi. I still have all the upside but am forced to be more intentional about how I use my phone.

Instead of burying my face in my phone while waiting in line for a burrito at Chipotle, I force myself to interact with the people around me. Of course I could browse the internet to pass the time, but that'll cost me money. When you're forced to pay for what you use you realize how meaningless a lot of your data usage really is. And when you pick your head up, you realize how interesting the real world is around you.

(By the way, I use no more than 0.5GB per month now. And this is without depriving myself. I work from home, rely hopelessly on e-mail and Slack, and frequently travel for work. It's amazing that once upon a time I let Sprint convince me that I needed to pay for 8+ GB per month of data.)

I'm not saying this is the right way for everyone to live. And I certainly haven't beat the twitch to reach for my phone nor have I perfected mindfulness - I still play Super Stickman Golf, watch MLB highlights, and browse Reddit while out and about - but I at least do it with some awareness of what I'm doing. The smartphone was never the problem. I was. And paying for what I use has helped me exercise some self-control.
I need the extra data for dikpiks

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:I downshifted my smartphone usage about a year ago and I genuinely feel healthier for it. The real trick wasn't to ditch the smartphone but rather to change my data plan in a way that modifies behavior. I went from an iPhone on a data thirsty Sprint plan to a Moto X4 on a hassle-free pay as you go plan on Google Fi. I still have all the upside but am forced to be more intentional about how I use my phone.

I need the extra data for HDdikpiks

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

CardsofSTL wrote:

I need the extra data for dikpiks
For sending or receiving? :-k