Smartphones suck

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Smartphones suck

Post by JCShutout »

Smartphones suck.

Pros:
-You can lookup stupid unimportant [expletive]!

Cons:
-People everywhere are constantly stuck staring at their device. (ignoring the reality going on all around you, be it nature, cool architecture, human beings, etc)

-People seem to lose all critical thinking ability, relying only on their master, I mean smartphone for information instead of like, ya know, knowing anything.

-No one knows how to [expletive] get anywhere, because they just follow their GPS line. This leads to stupid drivers staring at and typing or talking to their phone mid driving instead of looking at a map in advance and like, learning the layout of your city. Or if you don't have your phone, you don't know how to get anywhere. So, more stupid drivers.

-They are a goddamn security risk. My dad went out of town a couple of years ago and left his on the dashboard of his car, and he had so much personal information he was worried about that I had to drive to an hour to his house to get keys, 40 min to the airport parking to get the phone, 40 min back to store the damn thing, and an hour back to my house. Not to mention the data mining all those apps do.

-One clumsy drop or heavy rain and you're out hundreds of dollars.

-I've got kids in class who freak out over not having access to music on their phone 24/7. Its like they can no longer function without constant stimulation. That's not healthy.

-Oh yeah, and they emit all that wonderful-for-you radiation.

-You are never "off" work. Leads to poor balance in life. I love that I'm not expected to read emails on my off time. My off time is my time.

-Emojis. Seriously people. Type some [expletive] words. I look forward to the not so distant future when I'm being burned as a witch for using a comma or a semicolon or something. (To be honest, I only care because my 2g phone can't handle emojis, and they appear as empty boxes, so I never know what people are saying)

-And most important to me, the only reason I actually care: (because honestly, if it didn't effect me, I wouldn't care that other people liked smartphones) I have to upgrade my damn flip phone to a 4glte (or some [expletive] nonsense) flip phone because everyone constantly sends picture, emoji and mms texts that my 2g phone can't handle. Then everyone hits reply all with stupid [expletive] (just hit reply you stupid [expletive]! I don't need to know that you said, "yay.") So now I have 20 texts I can't open, 20 text error messages, and 20 other stupid messages that I don't know what the [expletive] they are. Possibly 20 additional versions of the text that they phone is trying to open. I can't disable mms without disabling sms, so its all or nothing. So basically, I have to get something with features I don't want so that people can send stupid poop emojis and other nonsense and hit reply all like morons who don't know how to use email. I feel lucky to find a 4glte rugged flip phone, but who knows how long that will be sufficient.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Re: Smartphones suck

Post by Tambourine Man »

For many people, it's their sole access to the internet. Last week, I pulled up FB on my phone and saw an old friend was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer. So I clicked the gofundme link, and kicked in what I could. I have the laptop, tablet, etc...But there's a very good chance I'd have never seen that on another device 12 hours later.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

JCShutout wrote:You are never "off" work. Leads to poor balance in life. I love that I'm not expected to read emails on my off time. My off time is my time.
I never thought I would say this but having work access on my phone has been liberating.

One of the downsides of my job is it basically requires 24/7 availability. The upside is I have no set hours. But when access was solely through a laptop-based VPN, I felt tethered to my desk until mobile apps were rolled out. Now I can go anywhere do anything at any time. Like this morning - slow Monday, nothing going on - and we're leaving town tomorrow. I'm heading out to run pre-trip errands, then work out, pack, catch a ballgame, etc. If work interferes, I'll see it on the phone and likely be able to handle it quickly and get on with my day.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Pretty good rant JC.

An unmentioned pro to smartphones - it works as pacifier. Before the saturation, people would just find trouble more easily - especially in groups or public settings. With most the eyes on their pacifier, peeps are looking around to see who or what pisses them off. I imagine bar fights are way down.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I'm glad JCShutout knows what's best for my life

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I'm glad JCShutout knows what's best for my life
Yea, doesn't he know it is your job to tell the rest of us how to live?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

TM: You know what's better than gofundme? Universal Healthcare. Sounds like smartphones are just opium for the masses to keep people from getting the help they need. Another con!

Rad: 24/7 availability for work? Horrid conditions! Workers of the world unite!

Freed: Bar fights down? People getting mugged for phones and electronic theviery UP!
Michael wrote:Image
Seriously, what the [expletive] is that cloud even doing? Get off the air over my lawn you stupid pile of tiny droplets of water, ice and dust!

McCrowes: Its just a rant. I don't really care that others have a smartphone, just annoyed that its getting harder to not have one because of all the media texts, and that I had to upgrade from a 2009 phone or disable all texts. Since I'm not quite yet a recluse, I dug around for an updated phone with features I don't want. Otherwise I really wouldn't care.

Wart: It is his job. Show some respect!

Thanks all. Just needed to rant into the either that is the internet. My wife said I have EOG.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

JCShutout wrote:Rad: 24/7 availability for work? Horrid conditions! Workers of the world unite!
But I can go bowling at 10am if I want to!!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Counterpoint: Smartphones deliver baseball scores.