snakes

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

snakes

Post by IMADreamer »

I have an irrational fear of snakes. I'm not going to run away or scream if I see one but I will definitely give it a wide birth.

I have these evergreen bushes in front of my house and every day I walk up the steps beside them. Well two weeks ago there was this black snake all coiled up and hissing at me. I got a shovel and tried to kill him but he slithered into the bushes. I then proceeded to hit the bushes with the shovel and try to get him out. Nothing.

Flash forward a couple weeks and I'd almost forgotten about the little bastard then today I'm walking up the steps again and I see his tail under the bushes. Again with the shovel but he slithers off never to be found. I could have had him if I would have just stuck my hand down there and grabbed him but I pussed out and got the shovel. Now all day I've been debating on just removing the bushes because snakes must die.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Re: snakes

Post by Smith Corks One »

They have to die because you're a puss? You sound like George Zimmerman. :wink:

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

There is nothing irrational about that fear. I am pretty much the same way. Although I'd just let it be instead of trying to kill it.

If I see a snake, I'm just walking well around it and moving on. I've always wanted to be a snake person but I just can't do it. I do not want those sharp fangs digging into my flesh and they are definitely a lot faster than I can react if they decide to strike.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

This is a quality rant. The first time I went over one with my push mower, I think I screamed like a girl. I have usually killed them but I really don't like doing it. I won't hesitate to do it though if I see one near my dogs.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

My dog got bitten by a diamondback rattler while we were going for a walk in the mountains, but it was a dry strike.

I wasn't really scared of snakes before that.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:This is a quality rant. The first time I went over one with my push mower, I think I screamed like a girl. I have usually killed them but I really don't like doing it. I won't hesitate to do it though if I see one near my dogs.

I maybe wouldn't kill them if we didn't have dogs. Our dogs love running around and playing in the yard and I could see them bolting through the yard and not even seeing a snake and getting bit. That's why snakes must die.

Fortunately at the house we only have garter snakes and black snakes. At the cabin though rattle snakes, copperheads, and water moccasins are all present. Have to be extra careful there when down by the river. Haven't had really any sightings at my place because I keep the vegetation pretty controlled but the cabin about an 1/8 mile down the road found a copperhead in their bathroom.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

IIRC, little all green and black snakes aren't dangerous, so they don't bother me. I've moved a handful out of buildings in Lemay to the river.

If it even looks like it has diamonds or any shape, it goin die. A hatchet works well because even if it isn't sharp, its heavy enough to cut one in half with a good swing even if you don't get it clean. Got two with a hatchet. Got one with a shovel, which is nice because of the excellent range, but unless you keep your shovel sharp (which, if you aren't cutting through sod, why would you?) then it can be tough to get that strike aimed well enough to cut the snake in half. Had to smash that little guy a bunch to cut it in half. I felt a little bad making it suffer, but you aren't biting me or my team.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I had taken the boat out once and was a couple miles from the marina. Went into in-floor cabin/ski slot where we kept the skis and a [expletive] water moccasin was in there. It was me and the future Mrs. AW and her friend. Not really knowing what to do...I just ignored it and went about my business. No way was I going to try to get it out.

Didn't even tell the girls. Just told them to not get in there and put a cooler over the thing so the slots were closed. Went about swimming and what not. Half an hour later or so, I see a snake in the water. Looked in the ski slot and the snake was gone. We left pretty quick after that for a new spot on the lake.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I would have abandoned ship, lit it on fire and pulled the plug on my way out. Not even sure what order I'd do those three in because I'd be panicking. It would have been every person for themselves.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

tlombard wrote:I would have abandoned ship, lit it on fire and pulled the plug on my way out. Not even sure what order I'd do those three in because I'd be panicking. It would have been every person for themselves.
Bad situation given that there are 1. no real weapons available 2. the snake is poisonous and we're in the middle of nowhere and 3. can't even use the weapons we do have (read, a wooden paddle) due to fear of cracking the fiberglass and the snake was sitting on lifejackets which would make it pretty damn difficult anyway to kill it.

Given all that, and the fact I didn't want to go back in, figured the best course to prevent it from getting into the area we were going to be and forget about it....what could go wrong. The ski slot opens to the covered back area where the engine is and the bilge pump was disconnected so there was a hole for him to get out if he wanted to which I'm guessing is where he went.