Flour weevils

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Flour weevils

Post by heyzeus »

Went to make some cookies yesterday. Opened up our flour, and caught something moving in there. Something small. Something that is a bug. Many bugs.

Surprise, they're in other stuff in the pantry too. Pasta. Sealed containers.

So we had to throw out just about everything that could be accessed, and then had to wash every surface in our pantry with bleach water. It took hours, and even after 2 showers I still smell faintly of bleach. Oh, and we don't really have any food anymore.

DAMN YOU FLOUR WEEVILS

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Flour weevils

Post by Arthur Dent »

They suck.

I guess I'm gross in that when I've gotten them, I throw out only the Items where I see em and kill the ones I find wandering. It's not 100% coverage, so I'm sure I've inadvertently eaten things they've touched, but it doesn't seem to have hurt me.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Arthur Dent wrote:They suck.

I guess I'm gross in that when I've gotten them, I throw out only the Items where I see em and kill the ones I find wandering. It's not 100% coverage, so I'm sure I've inadvertently eaten things they've touched, but it doesn't seem to have hurt me.
The issue is that they apparently lay eggs all over, and can regenerate. It's not like I'm overly concerned about eating flour weevil eggs (extra protein!), I'm just worried they'll come back if I don't bleach their entire existence out.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

ITT filthy people with dirty homes.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I wish I could infect you, Michael.