Is there any workers more miserable than at the IRS?

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Is there any workers more miserable than at the IRS?

Post by GeddyWrox »

I have a cousin who is a public defender in Massachusetts. He seems to really enjoy it. But I bet his workload is half what a MO defender's is.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Beyond that, I think it is that they are underpaid and overworked, not given a real chance to put up a real defense for many of their clients
My sisters boyfriend in law school ended up going out west, I think in Montana, and made something like 24k a year.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Diddy wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:My daughter would answer 'public defenders' after meeting them at "I want to be a lawyer" camp.
My sister is a layer, a surprisingly high number of her circle of friends wanted to be public defenders. I think some had a romanticized view of helping out innnocent defenders. Some wanted to help out poor and underprivileged people. I'm pretty sure all but one of them had family practices to come back to and their families were financially set. The other one ended up marrying into one of those families anyway. My sister went on the other end of the spectrum and went to a Fortune 500 company.

Completely baselessly, I made up the stat that 5% of public defenders were saints and 95% finished in the bottom of their class and could get no other job.
These were all in the top of their class, but it wasn't going to be their career job. I've also got two cousins that wanted to be public defenders and then went into political roles. I'd say there is a high percentage who don't have another option, but it seems to be somewhat romanticized among the lawyers I know.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Diddy wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Diddy wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:My daughter would answer 'public defenders' after meeting them at "I want to be a lawyer" camp.
My sister is a layer, a surprisingly high number of her circle of friends wanted to be public defenders. I think some had a romanticized view of helping out innnocent defenders. Some wanted to help out poor and underprivileged people. I'm pretty sure all but one of them had family practices to come back to and their families were financially set. The other one ended up marrying into one of those families anyway. My sister went on the other end of the spectrum and went to a Fortune 500 company.

Completely baselessly, I made up the stat that 5% of public defenders were saints and 95% finished in the bottom of their class and could get no other job.
These were all in the top of their class, but it wasn't going to be their career job. I've also got two cousins that wanted to be public defenders and then went into political roles. I'd say there is a high percentage who don't have another option, but it seems to be somewhat romanticized among the lawyers I know.

Sort of like Americorps for lawyers

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

From everything I've read, being a public defender in most places is extremely difficult.

1. They are likely overworked which requires
2. Them to likely at least make some assumptions which
3. Is unfair to ask of them
4. So they can focus and prioritize on those cases while
5. going up against the machine of law enforcement and DAs.

All while being underpaid.