Rave, right place, right time

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Rave, right place, right time

Post by JCShutout »

So my wife and I are starting to try our hand at landscaping. When we bought our place, it was pretty sad. Rockbeds infested with weeds and grass. So we've been slowly hitting parts of the front yard, to make the place look nice. Hopefully Il'l tackle the backyard (which is a plot of weeds) next year. My wife found some edging that she really, really likes. Its like $3.20/ft, and somewhat unique. So we saved up, and planned to use it in the front yard. Too pricy to use in the backyard too.

Today, I'm buying the last 50 ft of the edging to finish the front yard this weekend. An older couple approach me in the store and ask if I'm busy. I ask if I'm in their way, they say no. They noticed the edging I'm putting on a cart, and said they have tons of it around their house. They were planning on pulling it up and throwing it away. Long story short. I give them $50, they let me dig up and take 156 ft of the edging (plus a few broken pieces) from the property. I save them a long afternoon of labor, (45 min for me but I'm in pretty great shape that they looked mid-to-late 60s) they give me $500 value (before taxes) for $50. Now we probably have enough to do the whole backyard, and if we don't, we can buy the rest, and be at or under budget for what we planned to spend just on the front yard.

I've had a number of rough things come up over the past month. Nothing awful that I'd complain about, but a lot of little to moderate things that we just keep dealing with and knocking out like bosses, but it wasn't until this lucky day I realized, I'm exhausted, overworked, and really needed to catch a nice little break.

Plus we took our students to a vet school program and they let me take home free eggs from the chickens. Really good day. :-)

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Rave, right place, right time

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Nice one JC!