Alcoholism (long, a bit personal)

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Alcoholism (long, a bit personal)

Post by Socnorb11 »

Powerful post, Leroy. I watched my Dad die exactly like this, when I was 15. It's awful, and I'm sorry that you're having to witness it. My heart goes out to you, along with a tip of the cap for staying strong.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

as i get older i do realize (or just tell myself) how bad booze is. i definitely still drink and enjoy it but i do enjoy it less and less as the years go on. and since we can't scan our bodies with our eyes and see how things look under our skin it's the whole "out of sight out of mind" aspect and can be difficult to understand what we are doing to ourselves. sometimes i feel lucky that during college i realized that cigarettes always made me feel *worse* the next day and i gave those up without any issue. i do still enjoy that green plant but booze is losing its vitality with me. maybe one day i won't feel like i have to use any of it.

::positive vibes to you and your friend::

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

There is a book (and podcast) I started following lately called "The Naked Mind" which exists to explore the role of alcohol in our lives and culture. It has really shifted my perspective on alcohol and in response I am taking a break from drinking while I personally evaluate my relationship with alcohol. I would describe myself more as sober-curious than needing an intervention and this content has provided some good frameworks, knowledge, and encouragement to explore that curiosity without shame or fear. It has been a journey I would sincerely recommend to others, whether you are just curious or are feeling the pressure to do something serious.

Podcast: http://thisnakedmind.libsyn.com/