Rant: Putting an Employee on Notice

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Rant: Putting an Employee on Notice

Post by cardsfantx »

GeddyWrox wrote:A couple of the things are already clearing up, like the sick dogs. But things like dealing with his ex, ongoing custody issues, his grandmother and father's health...those things won't resolve with a week off, or even two or three.
you said 2 of his coworkers combined can't do what he does. i say suck it up, and who cares what his co workers think.

if he's getting his work done, then [expletive] what anyone else thinks/says.

now...if he's NOT getting his work done and coming in late/leaving early...i'd have a HUGE issue with it.

but if he gets all his work done? couldn't care less.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Rant: Putting an Employee on Notice

Post by GeddyWrox »

cardsfantx wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:A couple of the things are already clearing up, like the sick dogs. But things like dealing with his ex, ongoing custody issues, his grandmother and father's health...those things won't resolve with a week off, or even two or three.
you said 2 of his coworkers combined can't do what he does. i say suck it up, and who cares what his co workers think.

if he's getting his work done, then [expletive] what anyone else thinks/says.

now...if he's NOT getting his work done and coming in late/leaving early...i'd have a HUGE issue with it.

but if he gets all his work done? couldn't care less.
Right. I'm normally of this mindset as well.

Here, though, we have a continual backlog of work. Work is never "done". It's really a gut call as to whether or not we (my boss and I) think he's doing "enough". It's not like laying bricks. You can't just measure a surface area and say "You should be able to get 1000 sq feet done per day." Some of our reports are ridiculously complex and can take weeks to work through with the users. So if he is only putting in 5 hours a day and kinda half-assing it, he's not getting done what he's capable of even with slightly better focus and attendance.

Addendum: I was out yesterday for the eclipse and he put in an extra 4+ hours last night on a task that has been really difficult. Plus he was in by 9:05 today, even with craptastic traffic. So he's looking a little better lately!