Rant: Putting an Employee on Notice

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Rant: Putting an Employee on Notice

Post by lukethedrifter »

Being good at your job yet being late and a [expletive] coworker makes you actually crappy at your job.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Schlich wrote:I'm also drinking and dgaf so
Just make sure you're logged into GRB and posting by 9 am, or there's gonna be hell to pay.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

9 to 5 with an hour for lunch? You guys hiring?

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

cardsfansince82 wrote:9 to 5 with an hour for lunch? You guys hiring?
They might be soon; hence the rant.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Well in this case it is about 9:30 to 4 with an hour lunch.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I am very sympathetic, but my money's on this guy being an addict. Routinely showing up late divulging laundry lists of personal issues just screams substance abuse. There's no daily calamity at 7:30 am causing him to not be able to get in the shower and go to work on time. That would be some coincidence. I'm sure I'm biased to think this because I speak from experience, but that's my guess. 17 months ago I couldn't get to work on time or work all my shifts for the life of me and my supervisors felt really sorry for all the [expletive] I was constantly going through - there was always some excuse. Since I got rid of the underlying problem I don't think I've been even five minutes late once and my personal life is much more complicated.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Strong read, haltz. "laundry lists of personal issues" is key. If there was something like one core medical issue I'd be more willing to believe the behavior.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Michael wrote:Strong read, haltz. "laundry lists of personal issues" is key. If there was something like one core medical issue I'd be more willing to believe the behavior.
Agreed. I don't think this pattern is just bad luck.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I've been the "other coworker" in these situations for coworkers who have a few issues. At first we were sympathetic, take care of your stuff. Then it became every day. Literally. Its one thing to occasionally be late to take care of your kid or family or whatever. Sure, but when it becomes every day, and when you're here you barely work and dick around on your phone all day (because of your issues you have to deal with) and miss literally 29 days of work, and are late or leave early another 54 days... oh, and take a waaaay too long lunches God knows how many times (I didn't track that one) in education where you only work 3/4 of the year... at some point, you need to be able to compartmentalize and do your job. Your coworkers who show up everyday and do 3 people's work for zero extra pay become exhausted and burnt out because you always have emergencies. Have some occasional rough patches? Sure, that's life. Every day? No. Be an adult and pull your [expletive] together. Otherwise you are making life hard on your coworkers.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

i'm guessing this is some type of corporate america-type job?

it's easy for me to say since i've been in both...i was a director in corporate america and now own my own business in healthcare....but the arbitrary number of 8ish hours a day is BS in most cases/responsibilities.

if you're in a call center and have to be available for inbound calls for 8 hours? i get it. be there 8 hours.

and IT-type job? no reason to be there an arbitrary 8 hours a day (or even need to come in at all for that matter, if you're comfortable with it/trust the guy/girl)....write your code, or whatever you job is, then go home once its done...or take a laptop home an finish it there.

my job in corporate was a director in the marketing department...one of my branches i oversaw was an IT type group that wrote scripts to publish market results on our intranet. if they got what we needed done? don't care when they came in or left...and if something came up where i needed them to do something, i'd just send them a text and have them do it at home, if it was an emergency. if it wasn't? it can wait till tomorrow.

another one of my branches was an inbound line for customer complaints...we gave the public 8-5 M-F hours, so someone would obv have to be there in case someone called in.

in my current business. same type thing...

i have a couple girls that answer the phones. we're open from 8-5, so they obv have to be there to answer calls coming in.

i have an accounts receivable/payable employee...if shes got the invoices sent out and the checks brought in, made any collections calls needed, etc? then she can go home. i don't care how long she's been here.

all jobs are not created equal...if for some reason, the employee HAS to be there for a set amount of time (like answering inbound calls)? great...that's when i expect them there.

if they don't, as they're in something like IT (which it sounds like this guy is)? then there's no reason for him to be there for an arbitrary 8 hours. if he gets his crap done in 4-5 hours? there's no point in me keeping him here another 3 hours to sit on his ass. and if my other employees complained if he got to leave early and they had to stay, in the same department? i don't care...get better/faster at your job and you can leave early too.

all jobs/people are not created equal...