Midlife crisis

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Midlife crisis

Post by Freed Roger »

I was lamenting to a friend how I don't feel compelled to read books (and finish them!) as much and dig as deep into things as I used to. I blamed smartphones and social media induced lack of focus.

His reasoning for this lack of patience made more sense and I will generally roll with it because it rids me of the guilt: We that are likely more than half way thru our lives make an inherent/natural choice to dismiss things that appear not worthy of our time in waning days.

Now get off my lawn!

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Freed Roger wrote:I was lamenting to a friend how I don't feel compelled to read books (and finish them!) as much and dig as deep into things as I used to. I blamed smartphones and social media induced lack of focus.

His reasoning for this lack of patience made more sense and I will generally roll with it because it rids me of the guilt: We that are likely more than half way thru our lives make an inherent/natural choice to dismiss things that appear not worthy of our time in waning days.

Now get off my lawn!
That explanation would make sense if I didn't get a ton of pleasure and satisfaction when I am able to focus on a good book. And are we really saying we've chosen to devote attention to keeping up with social media because that's what's really worthy of our time? It's because our brains desire quick, low investment response and novelty. For me, it's definitely the internet and not age-related perspective that's damaged my ability to focus.

Easy access to the wealth of human knowledge as well as far away people is a wonderful thing, but the mental downsides seem pretty unambiguous to me.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:I was lamenting to a friend how I don't feel compelled to read books (and finish them!) as much and dig as deep into things as I used to. I blamed smartphones and social media induced lack of focus.

Now get off my lawn!
That explanation would make sense if I didn't get a ton of pleasure and satisfaction when I am able to focus on a good book. And are we really saying we've chosen to devote attention to keeping up with social media because that's what's really worthy of our time? It's because our brains desire quick, low investment response and novelty. For me, it's definitely the internet and not age-related perspective that's damaged my ability to focus.

Easy access to the wealth of human knowledge as well as far away people is a wonderful thing, but the mental downsides seem pretty unambiguous to me.
Before the Internet
By Emma Rathbone

Before the Internet, you would just sit in an armchair with a book open on your lap, staring into space or staring at a decorative broom on the wall—kind of shifting back and forth between those two modes of being.

Before the Internet, you might take it upon yourself to do a drawing. You’d quietly start sketching something in a notebook, not sure what it was, but you’d let inspiration guide you and then—woop!—turns out you’d drawn a squiggly alligator with a cockeyed approach.

Before the Internet, you’d have yawning summer afternoons when you’d flop down on one couch, then flop down on another, then decide to craft a fake F.B.I. card. You’d get some paper from your dad’s office, copy the F.B.I. logo and your signature, laminate it with Scotch tape, put it in your wallet, take it out of your wallet, look at it, then put it back in your wallet with a secretive smile.

It was a heady time!

You’d be in some kind of arts center, wearing roomy overalls, looking at a tray of precious gems, and you’d say, “That’s cat’s-eye,” and your friend would say, “Nope. That’s opal.” And you’d say, “That’s definitely cat’s-eye.” And there would be no way to look it up, no way to prove who was right, except if someone had a little booklet. “Anyone got a little booklet?” you’d ask, looking around. “Is there a booklet on this sh*t?”

Then you’d walk outside and squint at the sky, just you in your body, not tethered to any network, adrift by yourself in a world of strangers in the sunlight.

Before the Internet, you could move to a new state and no one at school would know anything about you. You’d have no online history. You could be anyone. You would lean against the lockers with a faraway expression on your face and let people assume whatever they wanted. Like that you were a girly girl but could also be a tomboy. Or that back in your home town you’d been friends with a bunch of crows. And everyone assumed that if they saw a crow it probably knew you, because you had some kind of understanding with crows owing to undefined telepathic abilities that made you look troubled now and then but also really important.

And if anyone wanted to track down an old friend of yours and write her an actual letter to find out if any of this was true, well, best of luck to them.

Before the Internet, you could laze around on a park bench in Chicago reading some Dean Koontz, and that would be a legit thing to do and no one would ever know you had done it unless you told them.

Before the Internet, if you were in need of some facts you might actually decide to consult an old person, like the one living in your finished basement. But then you’d find yourself watching “The Bridge on the River Kwai,” which you agreed to do because the old person asked in such a fragile way that you couldn’t say no.

About ten minutes in, you’d say you needed some water, then wander up to the kitchen, where you’d get caught up staring at a refrigerator magnet. Then, for no reason, you’d do a little dance. You’d wonder if you should expand that dance right then and there. “Maybe I’ll direct music videos,” you’d say to yourself. But you’d have no way to follow up or to look it up; you’d just be standing in the deafening quiet of your kitchen at midday, alone with your thoughts.
“Should I test out these pens on this turquoise pad?” you’d ask yourself, staring at some pens by the phone.

Instead, you’d take a sip of your drink and say, “Aah,” like a person in a commercial. Then you’d go do that in front of a mirror, to see how it looked. Because that’s what it was like before the Internet. You made your own fun.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Arthur Dent wrote:

Now get off my lawn!

Oh, I still dig a good book. But I will quickly bail on things that don't seem worthwhile and standard for what is worthwhile is ever diminishing.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

IMADreamer wrote:
mikechamp wrote:IMADreamer:

Of all your sentences, this one stuck out to me the most:

IMADreamer wrote:There is so much strife and trouble in the world shouldn't I help someone?
I wanted to contribute some unsolicited advice. You're a guy who seems to be well-read and tries to stay informed on current affairs. Maybe dial back a little from that? It can be heavy and depressing at times, and I'm not just referring to politics in DC. Hurricane Harvey is a largely tragic story (with bright spots here and there). But if one is really well-informed, then a topic like the deadly flooding in Bangladesh could be weighing on one's mind.

The 2nd half of your sentence reminded me of a wonderful PSA that ran a while back, and if you haven't seen it, I think it might be helpful to spend the 30-60 seconds viewing it. I wish I could find it for you, but after searching YouTube and Google for 10 minutes, I can't find it. (Can anyone help me locate that TV commercial?) It's about a guy who seems depressed because everywhere he turns, he's faced with an opportunity to help the less fortunate. Adopt a dog, help a poor child get an education, help a WW2 vet, etc. The message was basically, you don't have to do them all. Start with one and you will feel better because you'll be doing something, instead of feeling paralyzed by the myriad of options.

I'm not saying you're not doing anything now. But your comment about "shouldn't I help someone?" leads me to believe there might be an opportunity to lift your spirits through charity.

Ok. Enough of my words. Back to work for me.
Those are some great points and I did a few charitable things anonymously today. It felt good, but the anxiety poured right back in.
I found the commercial. Here is the extended version: