HVAC screwing

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Diddy
Perennial All-Star

HVAC screwing

Post by Diddy »

We had to put a new heater in our house. Not a lot of people that sell in our area so there isn't any competition to keep prices down but that not even my rant. We bought the unit from an a friend of a friend. He has a good reputation and came recommended so we went with him. The first day he's supposed to show up at 8 and install it. About 430 he shows up and drops it off but doesn't install it. Day 2 he shows up at about 11 does about 30 min worth of work and goes on a 2 hour lunch. Then about 2:30 leaves to pick his grandkids up from school. He did that same thing for 3 more days. We really haven't needed to use the heater yet so whatever. Till we got the bill. He was charging us $75 for a service call each day and billing us 1.5 hours of drive time (45 min each way) @$50/hr each day. He only spent 6 hours here doing the actual install, so one days work. $600 on bogus charges as far as I'm concerned. I brought it up to him and he came off the hook. Maybe it wasn't intentional but it sure seems like it to me. I've paid for the unit but not the extra labor, not sure what I'm going to do. May just not pay it and see if he is actually interested in taking me to small claims court. I'm just pretty sure from the way he reacted he'll do his best to run me down to everyone he can so it may not be worth it to not pay. Needless to say I won't be taking my friends advice anymore.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: HVAC screwing

Post by cardinalkarp »

Will the guy you're friends w/ speak up about the issue to HIS friend?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I wouldn't pay that and I would have gone off on him for being late the first day...you have more patience than me.

Find out if he is on anything like Angie's list and write up a poor review; he might drop the charges just to get you to remove the review.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Do you own or have access to any industrial strength shredding product?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

That is insane. I would refuse to pay it too and if he wants it, he'd have to fight me in small claims court. Or take him on Judge Faith.

Edit to add: Apparently Judge Faith was the first black woman to win Miss Louisiana Tech in 1998, won Miss Louisiana in 2000 and then was the first running up in Miss USA in 2001.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

tlombard wrote: Or take him on Judge Faith.
:shock: :shock:

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

He’s got a drug problem.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If you go on Judge Faith I'm available to be a character witness

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

CardsofSTL wrote:If you go on Judge Faith I'm available to be a character witness
I'll be a witness for either side, whichever gets me in her presence. Probably not a good witness but I'll show up. I actually listened to a bit of her show this morning while I was getting ready for work. She's awesome. The people were dumb as rocks but she just rocks.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Leroy wrote:
tlombard wrote: Or take him on Judge Faith.
:shock: :shock:
Well played sir, well played.