Freak Injuries

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
tlombard
tl;dr

Freak Injuries

Post by tlombard »

I couldn't find another thread about freak injuries and this one isn't mine but I just saw the end results of a friends injury and am alternating between baffled and impressed at where he is less than two weeks later.

He was filling in for a friend's softball team and went to throw somebody out from the outfield when his humerus snapped in two. Of course since I'm a jerk I immediately sent him a text asking if he at least got the guy out after I found out about it the next morning. When I heard he had a broken arm, I figured it was a simple fracture. It turns out the ball only went about five feet because his arm literally snapped in two.

It will be two weeks on Thursday since that happened. He had surgery a week ago today and I saw him for the first time yesterday morning in the cafeteria walking and talking like nothing had happened. I couldn't believe he didn't even have a cast on but I guess once they screw the titanium plate on there to hold it all together, nothing is going anywhere. He stopped by my desk about an hour ago and showed me the incision. It took 35 staples to close it up and it looks terrible even a week later. I was even more amazed that he was able to take his pullover off and put it back on without any trouble when 8 days ago his humerus was in two pieces!

4-6 weeks after the surgery the doctors say he'll be good as new. The current state of medical technology is amazing. I can't wait to see the next x-ray. He sent me the first one after it was broken on Snapchat so I can't share that here but I'm going in search of the x-ray from another friend who broke her humerus. His will probably look similar after his next checkup.

tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Freak Injuries

Post by tlombard »

Found the image of her arm after her injury. Her break was very similar to his in that her arm was snapped in two as well. The difference was that she fell down the stairs and tore her rotator cuff at the same time. Her recovery was a 3 month process before she could properly dress herself even. That's part of why I'm so shocked at how far along he already is a week after surgery.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Good god. That gave me the willies reading it.

My daughter's femur fracture could go in this thread. Sheared the femur right off the growth plate doing some sort of flip in acrobatics. They fixed her up, but the crappy thing is she's now more-or-less done growing at age 11 and 5'1". Her sibling is 5'9" at age 15 and might still have one more growth spurt left. My younger daughter is bummed that she'll forever be the short one. But 5'1" isn't a terrible height.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

GeddyWrox wrote:Good god. That gave me the willies reading it.

My daughter's femur fracture could go in this thread. Sheared the femur right off the growth plate doing some sort of flip in acrobatics. They fixed her up, but the crappy thing is she's now more-or-less done growing at age 11 and 5'1". Her sibling is 5'9" at age 15 and might still have one more growth spurt left. My younger daughter is bummed that she'll forever be the short one. But 5'1" isn't a terrible height.
Yeah, that's an OK height. I know a few women who are only an inch taller and they get through life just fine. Just have her look at the bright side, if she's one of those women who refuse to date a shorter guy when she grows up her options will be wide open!

And shearing the femur right off the growth plate sounds horrible. That had to be painful. I would not do well seeing my child deal with the pain and recovery she probably went through. It would break my heart.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

GeddyWrox wrote:Good god. That gave me the willies reading it.

My wife is 5'1 (possibly even a hair less!). So tell her not to fear. She can still attract the finest robot pencil sharpener owners in the land with that height.