Terrible Pet Owners

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Terrible Pet Owners

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I called animal control on my neighbors cattycorner from my backyard today. My wife and I called on them this winter when temperatures were subzero and not only did they not bring it inside, but appeared to put a basketball hoop in front of its doghouse to keep it from getting inside.

Yesterday, the dog was howling as I saw it sitting by the fence. Turns out, I later learned that they had chained it to the fence. It only got free when my other neighbor cut the chain off.

Today it had gotten out of its backyard. I corralled it and spoke with a teenager who seemed less than interested in coming to get it, so I got my leash and returned it to their house. Along the way, it stopped at every puddle and pile of snow on the ground to lap up any water it could. When I returned it, she wouldn't even take the dog inside and made me take it through the backyard. I saw no food or water.

Found out animal control cited those neighbors but didn't take the dog. I'm worried again with record lows forecast tonight.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Terrible Pet Owners

Post by CardsofSTL »

I would burn their house down and let them sit in the cold.

And I'd adopt their dog.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

You should have just taken the dog, although they probably would have gotten another. I have a neighbor that used to let his little dog run lose all the time. I confronted him about it and told him I saw the dog almost get hit twice. He said it would break his heart if the dog got run over. Of course the dog got hit a week later. That was two years ago. Since, he's had two other dogs both of which got hit.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

This really bummed me out. People are scum and should be judged by how they treat the vulnerable, including animals.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

If I could adopt their dog, I would. I’ve already got two of my own which is the most I’m allowed to have. If I could give the dog to my other neighbor who cut its chain off, I would.

Was worried when I hadn’t seen or heard it last night, but he’s out there this morning. I’m hoping he was just brought in from the cold.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

IMADreamer wrote:You should have just taken the dog
I seriously considered stealing a dog from the house next door to some friends of mine a few years ago. The dog was always outside no matter what the weather and the owner was never home. He did have food, water and a dog house but I still didn't like it and I don't think Meatball (the dog's name) ever got any attention unless it was from one of us.

My plans fell apart one night on my way to the bar after softball. I was with a guy who always hangs around our softball league and since the bar was right across the street from the house, I told my friend that I was thinking about stealing Meatball because his owner doesn't take care of him right. The friend looked at me and said, "Meatball? That house right there?" When I said yes to both I found out that Meatball was his son's dog and that was his son's house. If Meatball did come up missing, they would have known where to look so my plans were ruined.

On the positive side, the guy I was talking to took Meatball in until his son found a job in town and was able to take care of him better.

I didn't know at the time that he was a truck driver and always on the road. He paid somebody to let Meatball out, feed him, etc. but the person apparently just left him out back the entire time and only stopped by to make sure he had food and water once a day at most. Junior now has a job in town, a girlfriend who adores dogs and Meatball and would cut his manhood off if Meatball were to be handled like that again so it all worked out in the end.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

I don't understand why people like this have dogs, or other pets, in the first place. Why get a dog if you have no interest in taking care of it? I just can't understand it.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

G. Keenan wrote:I don't understand why people like this have dogs, or other pets, in the first place. Why get a dog if you have no interest in taking care of it? I just can't understand it.

This is what's at the heart of it for me. there's no law requiring you have a pet at all. I put my dog in a kennel when I go to work, but he's out of the elements and has comfort.

The poor dog is chained to a tree now, and his lead won't reach close to my fence now. I tried to throw him a treat today, but it didn't make it. I feel terrible.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Do you have a local humane society who will jump the fence, take the dog, and get her to a good home?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

33anda3rd wrote:Do you have a local humane society who will jump the fence, take the dog, and get her to a good home?

I really doubt it. I know the public relations person for one of the shelters here who said the best thing I could do is call animal control, which I did. They cited the owners and told us to keep an eye on him for the next week or two, which I'm doing. It looks absolutely miserable, but I don't know that what they're doing now is illegal.