[expletive] Apple

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

[expletive] Apple

Post by Secret Weapon »

So my last laptop died and I decided I wanted to get an ultrabook type laptop. Something, sleek, light weight, long lasting battery, decent performance. I've never had an apple computer before, but you always hear about how amazing they are, so I decided to look at the macbook air. The price point is a little higher, but not outrageous compared to other ultrabooks, so I decided to take the plunge as you know you are getting a quality product.

Well, after getting intermittent wifi reception in my house, I did a google search and it turns out that macbook airs have wifi connection problems. Why was this not mentioned in any of the numerous amazon reviews? What the [expletive] good does a sleek, light weight laptop do you if you can't get a reliable wifi connection? That's like the main [expletive] use of a laptop. I thought apple products were supposed to be sooo much better than everything else??

So now I've spent 1100 bucks on a dumbass computer that will probably lose it's wifi connection while trying to post this message.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: [expletive] Apple

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

No. Just more expensive. I hate apple.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

My online nick is Maclowery because I was a big Macintosh geek in the early days of AOL, etc. I havent used a Apple product in a decade other than ipods.

Their OS was far superior, to me, in like 1997. and their hard-to-upgrade hardware wasnt a big deal. Now, I am a windows user until its obsolete.

Mac computers are for people like my parents who are super casual PC users, and music anf graphic design people.

Is it too late to return it and get a nice Sony or something?

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

I got a deal on a 3rd party site on buy.com, I checked their returns policy, no returns on laptops after they have been opened. I'm thinking about putting it on craigslist and cutting my losses.

Or if anybody here is looking to buy a laptop, ignore what I've said, it's pretty sweet...

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Oh oh oh. Put it on buy.com for $100 more than you bought it for?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Windows is a joke though, so Apple is going to continue to be the only real choice for a while. Linux if you know what you are doing, but Apple just generally works.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Got a message to update iTunes which I did. Now I can't open it - get an error message: "the program can't start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I googled it and ended up on an Apple forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/58 ... 0&tstart=0

Suggested fix?
Remove all of these items in the following order:

iTunes
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support (if this won't uninstall press on)
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

Reboot, download iTunes, then reinstall, either using an account with administrative rights, or right-clicking the downloaded installer and selecting Run as Administrator.

The uninstall and reinstall process will preserve your iTunes library and settings, but ideally you would back up the library and your other important personal documents and data on a regular basis. See this user tip for a suggested technique.

Please note:

Some users may need to follow all the steps in whichever of the following support documents applies to their system. These include some additional manual file and folder deletions not mentioned above.

HT1925: Removing and Reinstalling iTunes for Windows XP
HT1923: Removing and reinstalling iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Sure, I've got several hours to go through all this [expletive] because [expletive] Apple [expletive] up their [expletive] update.

FML. And [expletive] Apple.

/first world problem

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

My Air has been fine. No problems at all.
Take it to an Apple store to have them check it. The employees are super lazy and will probably just replace it free.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Can't. This is on my home PC. It was a bug in the latest update which apparently can't be undone or fixed without going through all the de-install/re-install steps. From reading that thread, for some it worked fine while others still had problems getting in. Guess that'll be my project for tonight.

Yes, if this were on the iPad I'd be on my way to the Apple Store. We even found one guy there who is actually a good problem solver.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Radbird wrote:Can't. This is on my home PC. It was a bug in the latest update which apparently can't be undone or fixed without going through all the de-install/re-install steps. From reading that thread, for some it worked fine while others still had problems getting in. Guess that'll be my project for tonight.

Yes, if this were on the iPad I'd be on my way to the Apple Store. We even found one guy there who is actually a good problem solver.
Oh I was talking to weapon. You, my friend, are screwed.