Rave: Mulaney

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Rave: Mulaney

Post by 33anda3rd »

Schlich wrote:I am That Guy who tends to work quotes of Mulaneys stand up into casual conversation...
I habitually do that too.
Like when someone drinks too much.
Or snorts cocaine.
Or bets the house on the ponies.
Or like when someone smokes too many cigarettes.
Or shops too much with credit cards
Or plays too many scratchy lotteries.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

It was great. I was just a little disappointed to see his monologue from SNL was material from the new special. Spoiled the new special for me a tiny bit.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The internet dug up JJ Bittenbinder, the "Street Smarts" guy from the new special, and people on Twitter were surprised that he was real. I think everyone in Mulaney's act is real, that's part of what makes it compelling. I know Megan, the teacher who drunkenly said "Ahhhhhhhh I'll just show a video" in the clip below, she went to HS with him and I was on a improv team with her at iO for several years.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html
Let’s get one thing straight: Former Chicago police Detective J.J. Bittenbinder would never wear a cowboy hat with his three-piece suits.

“I never wore my cowboy hat to the schools. Now, I have been on cattle drives. I did 11 cattle drives and 11 cattle roundups in a ranch outside of Cody, Wyo., but that’s a separate deal. You don’t wear a three-piece suit with a cowboy hat. That just doesn’t work. Doesn't look good,” Bittenbinder told the Tribune by phone from Wisconsin, where he is enjoying his retirement.

Bittenbinder, 75, was surprised to learn from the Tribune that Chicago native John Mulaney parodies him in his new Netflix stand-up comedy special “Kid Gorgeous at Radio City.” Mulaney devotes about 10 minutes of his hourlong set at Radio City Music Hall to explaining how Bittenbinder’s “street smarts” presentations at student assemblies “haunt me to this day.”

“We had the same ‘stranger danger’ speaker every year when I was a kid. His name was Detective J.J. Bittenbinder. Go ahead and laugh, his name is ridiculous,” Mulaney, 35, tells the audience.

“Bittenbinder came every year. By the way, Detective J.J. Bittenbinder wore three-piece suits. He also wore a pocket watch. Two years in a row, he wore a cowboy hat. He also had a huge handlebar mustache. None of that matters, but it’s important to me that you know that. He did not look like his job description. He looked like he should be the conductor on a locomotive powered by confetti. But instead, he made his living in murder. He was the weirdest … person I ever saw in my entire life.”

Bittenbinder said he “didn’t appreciate” Mulaney making fun of his last name, which is German for “barrel-maker,” an “honorable profession that my ancestors used to do.”
It continues.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »