Seller's Market

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Seller's Market

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Well, after our first deal on a house fell apart because of a sewer line, today went much better. Inspector said it would probably need a high pressure flush, but everything else should be okay.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Well, after our first deal on a house fell apart because of a sewer line, today went much better. Inspector said it would probably need a high pressure flush, but everything else should be okay.
Did he say that based on his personal observations and guesswork on the type of flush you would need or just general professional opinion?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

CardsofSTL wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Well, after our first deal on a house fell apart because of a sewer line, today went much better. Inspector said it would probably need a high pressure flush, but everything else should be okay.
Did he say that based on his personal observations and guesswork on the type of flush you would need or just general professional opinion?
I think just flushing of the pipes. There's some grease and construction debris in the pipes (which isn't surprising because the house is definitely a flip), so he said just getting some high PSI hoses in there should clean that right out.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Oh I thought he meant the toilets wouldn't be up to the job in their current state.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Having similar issues - finally got all my money across from the UK, which is enough to buy a lower-end place; and have been putting bids in on places that look good, while waiting for the taxes to get done so we can get a mortgage and buy a higher-end place. Anything remotely decent we see online is sold before we even get the chance to arrange a viewing (and I look for new stuff every day, it's not like I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs). If I wanted to live in some South City slum, I could find a place, I guess?

The way it's going is, we're going to have to make a rush decision and that's not a very good way to buy a house. It does make me wonder, if there's such an incredible demand for houses, why there aren't more people building new ones, or why someone isn't making more of an effort to gentrify some of the [expletive] neighbourhoods. Ah well.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Having similar issues - finally got all my money across from the UK, which is enough to buy a lower-end place; and have been putting bids in on places that look good, while waiting for the taxes to get done so we can get a mortgage and buy a higher-end place. Anything remotely decent we see online is sold before we even get the chance to arrange a viewing (and I look for new stuff every day, it's not like I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs). If I wanted to live in some South City slum, I could find a place, I guess?

The way it's going is, we're going to have to make a rush decision and that's not a very good way to buy a house. It does make me wonder, if there's such an incredible demand for houses, why there aren't more people building new ones, or why someone isn't making more of an effort to gentrify some of the [expletive] neighbourhoods. Ah well.

Where are you looking? South City slum?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

No, the point I was trying to make was that the only homes that don't sell immediately are the ones which look okay but are in the worst locations.

I'm looking all over, but preferably within the city.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Wait about a year. Housing market is getting a bit overheated, and interest rates are already up. The market will cool off. Hopefully not collapse.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Someone is checking out our house today and then we have an open house this weekend. Fingers crossed.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Best of luck. We're supposed to close June 27th.