All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Rave: Not So Fine Dining

Post by CardsofSTL »

Red Lobster is [expletive]

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

heyzeus wrote:Secrets: I've never eaten at Red Lobster.
jewish people can't eat shellfish, right? (can't remember if you were a practicing jew or not)

also no pork?

man...thank god I wasn't born jewish...crab and bacon are prob my 2 favorite food groups

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I had plans to watch the Blues game with a friend from work last night somewhere in the Kirkwood area (we hadn't decided yet) so I grabbed dinner at Honey Pit BBQ. It was pretty good. Not the best ever but I'd say average and I'd eat there again.

While I was eating I decided to look up reviews of the place and one in particular caught my eye. This fool whined about the service mainly and of course claimed everything was dry and/or cold. For some reason the business didn't reply to his review like they have almost every single other one so I decided to check out the guy's profile. I see why they didn't reply.

If 80% of your reviews (excluding the half a dozen parks he gave five stars to for running) call out bad service and involve speaking to a manager... at some point shouldn't you start to realize that the problem might be you? Of course a full third of his reviews also made sure to specify that he's from New York City so he knows how XXX should be or be done. Screw off. Being from NY doesn't mean you know everything. In this guy's case I'm pretty sure he's from NY and he's an [expletive] and being an [expletive] know-it-all is why he thinks he gets such terrible service everywhere he goes.

Oddly enough almost all of his 93 reviews were for a bbq place, ice cream shop or a park. Then there were a couple of rants about gas station/convenience store coffee and service (he's an expert on 7-11 since he from NYC by the way and expects freshly brewed coffee from a gas station at 2pm or else they get one star) with one random cab company review. Yep, you know he made sure to point out in that one that he's from NYC and thus an expert on cabs.

Is there a way that I can write a review of a reviewer on Google?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Ive heard nothing good about that place and for sure the premise- hot and fast cooked bbq- doesn’t make me want to check it out.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I literally had heard nothing about it before I went. It isn't the best by any means but it is perfectly serviceable in my opinion based on one time. I certainly wouldn't suggest anybody go out of their way to try it though. To me, preference when it comes to BBQ is extremely personal especially with regards to the different styles. I tend to like them all. The brisket and chicken could have used a little more rub and I used more sauce than I normally would but I certainly wouldn't call it bad. The time I got bbq beef (not even going to give it the respect of BBQ) from a place on Hampton and it was literally sliced roast beef deli meat swimming in a bad bbq sauce was what I'd call terrible. Thankfully that place has been closed for years.

Anyway, I happened to be right there with time to kill so I gave them a shot and I don't regret it on bit. To me, nothing will ever beat Battle's BBQ in Ames, IA where I worked for 9 months during my freshman year at Iowa State anyway so I just have to be more accepting of mediocrity.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

They probably have terrible coleslaw

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL wrote:They probably have terrible coleslaw
And hot & fast bbq

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Our cafeteria at work may have finally gone too far today. They listed a 'Carne Asada burrito' which I ordered. It was unseasoned ground beef, rice and cheese in a tortilla. Carne Asada my ass.

I am tempted to print out a bunch of different recipes for Carne Asada and then just drop them on the cafeteria manager's desk and yell, "STOP WITH THE [expletive], THESE ARE CARNE ASADA!" and then storm out of her office.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

tlombard wrote:Our cafeteria at work may have finally gone too far today. They listed a 'Carne Asada burrito' which I ordered. It was unseasoned ground beef, rice and cheese in a tortilla. Carne Asada my ass.

I am tempted to print out a bunch of different recipes for Carne Asada and then just drop them on the cafeteria manager's desk and yell, "STOP WITH THE [expletive], THESE ARE CARNE ASADA!" and then storm out of her office.
And another reason I'm grateful I didn't go into food service

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I get that they have to come up with as much variety as possible with a limited set of ingredients but just call it like it is and stop trying to fancy it up by calling it something that it clearly isn't.

At the same time, nothing is ever going to really be spiced properly if it is something that's supposed to be spicy because different people have different levels of tolerance for spicy food so they have to find that middle ground. I get all of that.

It's a tough job because you can't give it everything you've got due to restrictions on ingredients, timing (has to be able to sit on a steam table or example), spiciness, food cost (can't afford to waste a tray of something expensive if nobody eats it), etc. And then you have ungrateful people like me who want to [expletive] about the way you are naming certain things. It's definitely not where you want to be if you're in the food service industry and want to actually cook or be a chef.

But still, just call it what it really is and today it was a beef burrito. Nothing wrong with a beef burrito. I like beef burritos. I get one almost every single time the cafeteria offers them even!