GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 22 19, 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Rant/Rave: Losing my job
PostPosted: September 1 18, 8:06 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Posts: 4859
Location: Knoxville, TN
Last week, I made a stupid mistake and lost my job as a result. I experienced probably the worst two days of my life - and rightfully so. It was a cool job and one I'll probably miss, and I was pretty damn good at it, too.

On the other hand, I've been on autopilot for about 5 years. I've been doing a fantastic job acting like there aren't some serious weights on my shoulders, and I understand better than ever before what it's like when you just avoid your problems/stressors instead of trying to deal with them. I've had more honest conversations with friends and family in the last week than I had in the entire 10 years prior. That part has been good.

I've spent a lot of my life trying to avoid failure and avoid making mistakes, trying to be somebody I'm not for everybody else's sake, and I think at 29 (almost 30) I might finally be starting on the right path. It f*cking sucks and I'm embarrassed to be in this position, but I think a lot of good will come out of it.

Also, the more I've talked with people, the more I've discovered that everybody has their own demons (and it's frequently not just small stuff). Nobody's perfect.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 1 18, 8:10 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: April 18 06, 7:45 pm
Posts: 3636
You’ll land on your feet somewhere. I guess I can’t put That Guy as a reference when I apply for House Hunters now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 1 18, 8:13 am 
Offline
MacGyver of Underwear
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Posts: 12238
Location: South City
Sorry to hear that man. I dont remember what you did for a living, but everyone makes mistakes. Best of luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 1 18, 10:31 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: October 8 14, 11:41 am
Posts: 4008
No shame, brother. The important thing is you pick yourself up and keep fighting to create the life that is fit for you, not other people's expectations. The only regrettable thing would be to not keep fighting. From one stranger to another, I sincerely wish you the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 1 18, 12:06 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: April 18 06, 7:45 pm
Posts: 3636
JCShutout wrote:
Sorry to hear that man. I dont remember what you did for a living, but everyone makes mistakes. Best of luck.


I thought he worked for HGTV


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 1 18, 1:45 pm 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 11369
Location: Illinois
Your last point is important to remember. Everyone is [expletive] up. Once you realize that it takes some weight off. If there is anything we can do to help you let us know. I have no doubt you will come out of this stronger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 3 18, 7:12 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Posts: 4859
Location: Knoxville, TN
Diddy wrote:
You’ll land on your feet somewhere. I guess I can’t put That Guy as a reference when I apply for House Hunters now.

You still could, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to be on that show. :)

JCShutout wrote:
Sorry to hear that man. I dont remember what you did for a living, but everyone makes mistakes. Best of luck.

Appreciate it. I'm learning the "everyone makes mistakes" bit, but it still feels weird. I guess it takes time.

Hoot45 wrote:
No shame, brother. The important thing is you pick yourself up and keep fighting to create the life that is fit for you, not other people's expectations. The only regrettable thing would be to not keep fighting. From one stranger to another, I sincerely wish you the best.

Thanks man. That's been the goal my whole life, so maybe I'll finally start doing something about it.

IMADreamer wrote:
Your last point is important to remember. Everyone is [expletive] up. Once you realize that it takes some weight off. If there is anything we can do to help you let us know. I have no doubt you will come out of this stronger.

Hey, thanks - I really appreciate that IMA.

And I don't want it to sound like I'm absolving myself of any responsibility by suggesting that everybody else has problems, too, but it's been really eye opening hearing other people talk about their own issues. Turns out life is not all sunshine and rainbows!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 3 18, 8:08 am 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 19586
Location: Columbus, OH
I was downsized by a job one time. In retrospect it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm much farther along professionally now than I would have been if I had stayed there for ten years. Things always work out. Acknowledge your mistakes and move on. You'll land on your feet so long as you don't give in to petty emotion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 3 18, 11:58 am 
Offline
There's someone in my head but it's not me
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Posts: 43084
Location: Somewhere back in my long ago
ThatGuy wrote:
I've spent a lot of my life trying to avoid failure and avoid making mistakes, trying to be somebody I'm not for everybody else's sake, and I think at 29 (almost 30) I might finally be starting on the right path. It f*cking sucks and I'm embarrassed to be in this position, but I think a lot of good will come out of it.

Also, the more I've talked with people, the more I've discovered that everybody has their own demons (and it's frequently not just small stuff). Nobody's perfect.

You have the right attitude. Good things are around the corner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 3 18, 1:47 pm 
Offline
bronoun enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Posts: 28172
Location: extremely online
I think there have been a few mistakes in my life that I got away with which would have been better for me if I hadn't. Autopilot is often my default setting too, and you make small compromises to maintain that setting because it's comfortable, safe, or whatever, and then years pass and all those little compromises can add up to an unsustainable path that you can't and shouldn't maintain.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group