Rant/Rave: Losing my job

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Rant/Rave: Losing my job

Post by Radbird »

Looking back as I close in on end of career, the one thing I would change is taking more chances.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

ThatGuy wrote:Last week, I made a stupid mistake and lost my job as a result. I experienced probably the worst two days of my life - and rightfully so. It was a cool job and one I'll probably miss, and I was pretty damn good at it, too.

On the other hand, I've been on autopilot for about 5 years. I've been doing a fantastic job acting like there aren't some serious weights on my shoulders, and I understand better than ever before what it's like when you just avoid your problems/stressors instead of trying to deal with them. I've had more honest conversations with friends and family in the last week than I had in the entire 10 years prior. That part has been good.

I've spent a lot of my life trying to avoid failure and avoid making mistakes, trying to be somebody I'm not for everybody else's sake, and I think at 29 (almost 30) I might finally be starting on the right path. It f*cking sucks and I'm embarrassed to be in this position, but I think a lot of good will come out of it.

Also, the more I've talked with people, the more I've discovered that everybody has their own demons (and it's frequently not just small stuff). Nobody's perfect.
I know exactly how you feel and honestly, I'm a little surprised that I haven't lost my job because of it in the past. I have been through a couple of stretches like you describe over my 20+ years with my company. Thankfully I was able to keep my job each time and my bosses were great and let me take the time to get myself straightened out again. I've been lucky with great bosses over my time here.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

You're good, ThatGuy. I have no doubt you'll land on your feet and find something else that is much, much better for you.

I was laid off once in a past career, and another time fired from a law firm and told that I'd never be good enough to be a lawyer. That was almost 10 years ago, and the guy that said that, I came to realize, was an awful human, and he did me a big favor by forcing me out of my complacency at that job, which forced me to find an insanely better place for me to work.

Let us know how your process goes!