General work sucks thread...

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
wart57
just can't quit you.

Re: General work sucks thread...

Post by wart57 »

haltz wrote:I'm in the same boat more or less doing restaurant work. I despise actual dress shoes so I used to spend a lot of money on Danskos, Timberland Pros, Eccos (even wore blacked out Nike Free Rns for a while) etc and then I started wearing some ugly $20 walmart non-slip shoes that I just throw away every six months when they start to fall apart. In the meantime they're great.

As far as pants go I've been wearing Under Armour golf pants lately that have a fully elastic waist and they're way more comfortable than any jeans I own.
The slacks part doesn't really bother me, as I tend to agree, most dress slacks are way more comfortable than jeans. But, man, My feet are messed up - all those years working in the stores being on my feet for 10 to 14 hrs per day really did a number on my feet, knees , and back....that and getting old.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

lukethedrifter wrote:I’m not a fan of the new polyester stretch pants. Picked up a pair from Prana. They look good and are initially comfortable but if it’s warm at all they feel ... stuffy... that’s the best description i can come up with. I need some cotton blended in, i think.
I've not really noticed an issue with stuffiness, but I spend the vast majority of my work days indoors.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Custom shoe orthotics from an orthopaedic doctor and good walking dress shoes like Rockports are your friends.

Those two things cleared up my issues.

/old man talk
Last edited by Michael on September 7 18, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Michael wrote:Custom shoe orthotics from a orthopaedic doctor and good walking dress shoes like Rockports are your friends.

Those two things cleared up my issues.

/old man talk

Same-ish. Berkenstock 3/4 footbeds worked so i didn’t have to go to custom. And good shoes/boots.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Again, I am broke. I have 4 daughters and a wife that need things all the time, and we only live on my income.

I am the last one to get anything. My Asics were working great however, and now I need to change back to the dress shoes.

Eventually, I will get me some good work boots again, and it won't be a problem.

Just because the new General manger is old school and wants us to look more professional for him.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Bummer. Maybe inexpensive off the shelf shoe orthotics like dr scholls can help.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Thanks for all the ideas guys. It is really appreciated. I will def look in to those inserts...

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

haltz wrote: (even wore blacked out Nike Free Rns for a while)
The Nike Free RN 2018 is one of my favorite shoes ever. A lot of my foot pain from more expensive Nikes has gone away since I made that my main shoe.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Popeye_Card wrote:Van Heusen Flex dress pants are awesome. Good price, especially if you get them on sale. They don't feel cheap though and look very professional. Extremely comfortable (stretchy material) and lightweight. Do not wrinkle very easily.

I don't spend a whole lot of my day on my feet, but I don't find most dress shoes extremely uncomfortable as long as they fit. The key for me is going with padded, more athletic style socks that are solid color so they don't stand out as being athletic socks.
I have 4 pairs of those (all different colors). They look great and aren't stuffy, as my job has me needing to look professional outside in the heat sometimes. Wait for a 30% off "sale" (all the time) and they're pretty darned affordable. Will probably get 2 or 3 more in the next few months.