Neighbors Rant

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Neighbors Rant

Post by lukethedrifter »

That guy can't get anything right. He needs a secretary to get his own schedule straight to say nothing of the training schedule for the rest of us.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Neighbors Rant

Post by Spider John »

Are you criticizing the training schedule of a former Olympian ?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Separate Rant. [see: Naber Rant]

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Definitely time to move.....
Are you around next Sunday, May 29 for a good old-fashioned Street Party? I would like to amp it up a bit back to the good old days and do some:

3 legged races
sack races
relay races with an egg and spoon
toilet paper weaving a team together
water balloon tosses
badminton tournament
maybe a kickball game

We could split the teams up demographically to be sure we have our youngest neighbors on teams with neighbors of all ages -- so we get to know each other better and make fun even teams.

I have also heard of other streets booking the Sweet Cow ice cream truck. I think that would be alot of fun. But they require someone be on the hook to ensure they get a certain threshold of sales. I don't foresee any issue there, but would anyone be willing to reach out and coordinate with them? Everyone would pay as they go for their ice cream.

I would like to do the dinner part as a multi-cultural traditional potluck (no grilling, too hard with such a big group) where every family brings an heavy entree (like a lazagna or chicken & pasta dish, or enchiladas, or a stir fry, or tacos, or hot dogs or hamburgers, etc. just cooked before the potluck) and side dish to share. Then for dessert, we'd have Sweet Cow.

If we are playing games and having water balloons, I'd recommend we start early -- say 4 pm Sunday.

What do you think? Is your family available to attend? Would you be willing to help organize? Anyone willing to bring paper products? Or should we just have each family bring own paper products, drinks, and chairs?

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

Radbird wrote:Definitely time to move.....
Are you around next Sunday, May 29 for a good old-fashioned Street Party? I would like to amp it up a bit back to the good old days and do some:

3 legged races
sack races
water balloon tosses
badminton tournament
maybe a kickball game

We could split the teams up demographically to be sure we have our youngest neighbors on teams with neighbors of all ages -- so we get to know each other better and make fun even teams.

I have also heard of other streets booking the Sweet Cow ice cream truck. I think that would be alot of fun. But they require someone be on the hook to ensure they get a certain threshold of sales. I don't foresee any issue there, but would anyone be willing to reach out and coordinate with them? Everyone would pay as they go for their ice cream.

I would like to do the dinner part as a multi-cultural traditional potluck (no grilling, too hard with such a big group) where every family brings an heavy entree (like a lazagna or chicken & pasta dish, or enchiladas, or a stir fry, or tacos, or hot dogs or hamburgers, etc. just cooked before the potluck) and side dish to share. Then for dessert, we'd have Sweet Cow.

If we are playing games and having water balloons, I'd recommend we start early -- say 4 pm Sunday.

What do you think? Is your family available to attend? Would you be willing to help organize? Anyone willing to bring paper products? Or should we just have each family bring own paper products, drinks, and chairs?
"Get off my lawn!"
Sounds like fun to me and a great way to meet your neighbors. Unless all your neighbors are a bunch of douches that you dislike :wink:

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I hate street parties.

I didn't know we had a neighbor rant thread, that's a great idea. I have one. My neighbor in back of me decided he wanted to do bees. Put it right at the back of his property, easily within reach of a shot of Raid from my property.

First two years no major issues, definintely a few bees buzzing around on our back patio when we were out but nothing off the charts. One time I was in my garden about 20-30 feet from the hive and he and a buddy are out there in [expletive] Hazmat suits with smoke guns. My neighbor doesn't know dick about bees apparently, and has a friend that helps him out. I see the suits and ask - "Hey, am I OK here" to which my neighbor replies "Oh sure you are fine, no worries". Immediately the other guy corrects him - "Uh, yeah we are smoking them out so you probably want to give them more space - like your entire back yard".

Ok, fine. Can't go out in my own garden in my own yard. Whatever.

This year it becomes a major daily issue. The bees apparently found my hot tub as a source of water. I would go out in the day and the patio and there would be dozens of bees on the cover and crawling around the tub. Shoo them away, open the lid and you had to run like hell because dozens more would be trapped inside. And, another dozen or so bit the dust in the pool and drowned. So I had to clean that out.

This was DAILY. At first I thought it was because it was pretty cool out early and they liked the heat. But that wasn't it, they just kept coming. Tub and back patio just flat out unusable during daylight hours.

I talked to him and he did feel bad, I drained my tub for a week and he created a fresh water supply by the hive and that actually seems to have worked. Yesterday there was only a stray bee or two hanging around the tub.

I don't care how environmentally friendly it is, it's the most obnoxious god damned hobby I can possibly imagine in a residential area. I checked on ordinances and stuff - nothing in our town. Do what you want apparently.

This guy is always looking for compliments too - all summer he'll take credit for how well my garden is doing. And I know it helps, but I've been growing veggies forever without a god damned hive 5 feet from my property line. I wish they weren't there, and if this went on much longer I can't swear to you that the hive wouldn't have gotten a good blast of Raid Wasp and Hornet killer.

I do appreciate that he was concerned and is trying to remedy it. I'm fine with a couple of bees here and there, I just want to sit on my patio on a nice day.

My neighbors next to me are just [expletive] crazy. This guy at least seems like a nice guy.

We really hate our neighboorhood. Moved 3 years ago and it's not good. Old place we had great neighbors.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

You don't [expletive] with Jim's hot tub.

This guy's about to get it.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Let me tell you about the people next to us. These are the people that make me want to move. Older, 60's probably, and she runs a day care out of her house. [expletive] everywhere in the driveway. It's an eyesore, but I don't really care about stuff like that.

It all started first year with my garden which borders their property. I gave them alot of veggies, and they seemed friendly but kind of creepy. One day, she points out that my tomato plant is resting on her chain link fence, and that if it grows over and produces fruit it's hers. Ok, fine. I'm giving you [expletive] anyway, I don't care if you take a tomato off of the plant. Help yourself [expletive].

Couldn't go outside without her commenting on something. Oh - you took that plant out - I loved that plant. Well [expletive], it's our property, and we didn't like it, so we took it out. Mind your own [expletive] business.

Then one day it really hit the fan. The guy works at a local college on the grounds department. Apparently before we moved in he destroyed a bush or something on the previous owners property when he got a little overzealous with some weed whacking. He fixed this by bringing a tree from his work and planting it for her. Beautiful tree, but the problem was it was really close to the house. The women kept telling me from day 1 the story, and how they had given the tree to the previous owner, and how much they loved the tree, etc... We had a decorative sidewalk put in right by the tree that goes from a side door to the back near their property shortly after we moved in. One day my parents came up, and my Dad just told me flat out that tree was too close to the house, and eventually the roots would cause problems with the sidewalk. I looked up the type of tree and did some research and sure enough I realized this tree was going to be a problem.

So down it came. I cut that [expletive] down in no time.

Oh my god. Apparently in her mind that was not my tree to cut down, even though it was on my property. It was her tree. She loved that tree. She kept going on and on with these passive aggressive comments until one day we had enough. My wife just told her to stop, the tree was too close to the house and we wanted it down etc... We then put up a big ass wood fence to block them and their disaster of a backyard and driveway and those little [expletive] that come out at 4:00 every day to play in the driveway. She [expletive] about the fence too, saying it was on her property line. It's not.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Molly wrote:
Radbird wrote:Definitely time to move.....

3 legged races
sack races
water balloon tosses
badminton tournament
maybe a kickball game

"Get off my lawn!"
Sounds like fun to me and a great way to meet your neighbors. Unless all your neighbors are a bunch of douches that you dislike :wink:
Toilet paper weaving a team together sounds like fun??

#suburbanhell

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Oh man, you just hit a sore spot!! I don't even want to go into because it pisses me off.

Having neighbors that are d-bags AND RENTERS (while the benefit is that hopefully they will move out after their lease is up), makes the situation worse. They don't give a [expletive] about what they do.