GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 26 19, 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: July 27 19, 1:01 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

So my cabin was flooded this summer. It actually sits higher than the levee on the other side of the river but that levee was sandbagged so the water got higher than it should. I'm not complaining about them sandbagging. However the county has decided it wants to force us to either raise our cabin or demolish it. I'm not sure why it matters to them but oh well. My lawyer basically was going to send them a letter that says [expletive] off.

PostPosted: July 27 19, 9:42 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

IMADreamer wrote:
So my cabin was flooded this summer. It actually sits higher than the levee on the other side of the river but that levee was sandbagged so the water got higher than it should. I'm not complaining about them sandbagging. However the county has decided it wants to force us to either raise our cabin or demolish it. I'm not sure why it matters to them but oh well. My lawyer basically was going to send them a letter that says [expletive] off.

They'd have to buy your land to do that. FEMA may not want to allow it to be insured if it continually floods and it's under the bfe, but no one has any right to tell you to demolish your existing building rather it is insured through fema or not. They can buy it from you though and if it's for floodplain purposes of some sorts they can use eminent domain to take it.

PostPosted: July 28 19, 11:45 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

They'd have to buy your land to do that. FEMA may not want to allow it to be insured if it continually floods and it's under the bfe, but no one has any right to tell you to demolish your existing building rather it is insured through fema or not. They can buy it from you though and if it's for floodplain purposes of some sorts they can use eminent domain to take it.

The damage is pretty minimal. To demolish it is a huge over reaction. It only had about a foot of water in it. We already have the old paneling tore out and the place is dried out. We are just contemplating what's best to replace it with.