GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 12:30 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the increase is partly due to more people biking in general. I assume most cities are moving toward having more bike lanes and trails like Indy has done, but I wonder. Pittsburgh had a lot of bike lanes, but I think I'd be a little reluctant to bike there. Having said that, as I get more comfortable on my bike I've gotten more comfortable and bolder in terms of where I'm willing to go, so at some point I'm sure that happens everywhere no matter the conditions.

One problem even when they create bike lanes is they're often just sharrows, which are the painted lanes that are often ignored and obviously do nothing to protect you. Bollards/poles are at least a psychological and physical barrier, even if they don't do much to protect. One of the roads I ride on some mornings has a totally separate 2 way bike lane off the side of the road, which is really nice.

This tweet was getting shared around a lot around Indy bike/transit twitter last week. We actually have a lot of wide streets that could be converted this way.

Last edited by ghostrunner on September 10 19, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 1:27 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

I've only been a dick to a cyclist once. I posted about it. They deserved it.

I do wish our cities were more pedestrian and bike friendly.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 1:33 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Smart phones have made it exponentially worse. Stats graphing smart phones vs accident rates would be useful

PostPosted: September 10 19, 3:33 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

33anda3rd wrote:
The fact of these deaths is an admittedly gauche but also fairly practical and real: "accidents happen." If you're in a car-on-car crash you have steel and a seat belt and an airbag to protect you. Your car by law needs the airbag and you by law need to have the seatbelt on. If you're on a bike it's just you and the pavement. Bicyclists need to be extra cautious, because if they are in an accident with a car they're going to come out on the worse end every time. Thus, they really should be the most defensive drivers on the road. Often they are the most aggressive. If I hit and injured or heaven forbid killed a bicyclist I'd be devastated, and I think cyclists see motorists as the opposite: that motorists are out to run cyclists off the road.

You have a very one sided point of view. I bet it will be fruitless to try to convince you that American car centric culture is to blame for many cyclists’ deaths.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 3:38 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Seriously [expletive] off if you’re going to try to turn this into an anti cyclist thread.

People in cars are a holes. Carcissists.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 4:18 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

lukethedrifter wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
The fact of these deaths is an admittedly gauche but also fairly practical and real: "accidents happen." If you're in a car-on-car crash you have steel and a seat belt and an airbag to protect you. Your car by law needs the airbag and you by law need to have the seatbelt on. If you're on a bike it's just you and the pavement. Bicyclists need to be extra cautious, because if they are in an accident with a car they're going to come out on the worse end every time. Thus, they really should be the most defensive drivers on the road. Often they are the most aggressive. If I hit and injured or heaven forbid killed a bicyclist I'd be devastated, and I think cyclists see motorists as the opposite: that motorists are out to run cyclists off the road.

You have a very one sided point of view. I bet it will be fruitless to try to convince you that American car centric culture is to blame for many cyclists’ deaths.

And I assume it would be fruitless to try to convince you that

Quote:

Is the most one-sided statement in this thread so far.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 4:23 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

33anda3rd wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

And I assume it would be fruitless to try to convince you that

Quote:

Is the most one-sided statement in this thread so far.

It’s the entire point of the rant. So, yes. You don’t agree?

PostPosted: September 10 19, 5:00 pm 
just can't quit you.

All drivers are a holes. I hate them all.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 5:19 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Let me rephrase this for the easily offended driver of automobiles.

People who might otherwise be well socialized humans, treat other, more vulnerable humans with total disrespect and disregard for life and limb. Seems we think we’re driving slot cars. Pull up into the crosswalk? Why not? Quick right turn without checking for humans? There’s probably no one there, go ahead. Block other drivers’ access because you’re too busy in your own head to think about other people and how you might be making their day difficult, and really [expletive] up the flow of traffic.

Most of us make some incredibly inconsiderate and antisocial moves while driving. But a) let’s blame the more vulnerable and b) not show any self awareness.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 5:54 pm 
just can't quit you.

lukethedrifter wrote:
Let me rephrase this for the easily offended driver of automobiles.

People who might otherwise be well socialized humans, treat other, more vulnerable humans with total disrespect and disregard for life and limb. Seems we think we’re driving slot cars. Pull up into the crosswalk? Why not? Quick right turn without checking for humans? There’s probably no one there, go ahead. Block other drivers’ access because you’re too busy in your own head to think about other people and how you might be making their day difficult, and really [expletive] up the flow of traffic.

Most of us make some incredibly inconsiderate and antisocial moves while driving. But a) let’s blame the more vulnerable and b) not show any self awareness.

I agree with you.

Here in Az, it is a sign of weakness to use a turn indicator. People change once they get behind the wheel. I try really hard to be considerate, but it ain't easy sometimes.

I really do hate humans. Humans suck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next