GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 12:30 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 24343
I wonder if the increase is partly due to more people biking in general. I assume most cities are moving toward having more bike lanes and trails like Indy has done, but I wonder. Pittsburgh had a lot of bike lanes, but I think I'd be a little reluctant to bike there. Having said that, as I get more comfortable on my bike I've gotten more comfortable and bolder in terms of where I'm willing to go, so at some point I'm sure that happens everywhere no matter the conditions.

One problem even when they create bike lanes is they're often just sharrows, which are the painted lanes that are often ignored and obviously do nothing to protect you. Bollards/poles are at least a psychological and physical barrier, even if they don't do much to protect. One of the roads I ride on some mornings has a totally separate 2 way bike lane off the side of the road, which is really nice.

This tweet was getting shared around a lot around Indy bike/transit twitter last week. We actually have a lot of wide streets that could be converted this way.



Last edited by ghostrunner on September 10 19, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 1:27 pm 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 11479
Location: Illinois
I've only been a dick to a cyclist once. I posted about it. They deserved it.

I do wish our cities were more pedestrian and bike friendly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 1:33 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24293
Location: St. Louis
Smart phones have made it exponentially worse. Stats graphing smart phones vs accident rates would be useful


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 3:33 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36901
Location: Huis Clos
33anda3rd wrote:
The fact of these deaths is an admittedly gauche but also fairly practical and real: "accidents happen." If you're in a car-on-car crash you have steel and a seat belt and an airbag to protect you. Your car by law needs the airbag and you by law need to have the seatbelt on. If you're on a bike it's just you and the pavement. Bicyclists need to be extra cautious, because if they are in an accident with a car they're going to come out on the worse end every time. Thus, they really should be the most defensive drivers on the road. Often they are the most aggressive. If I hit and injured or heaven forbid killed a bicyclist I'd be devastated, and I think cyclists see motorists as the opposite: that motorists are out to run cyclists off the road.

You have a very one sided point of view. I bet it will be fruitless to try to convince you that American car centric culture is to blame for many cyclists’ deaths.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 3:38 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36901
Location: Huis Clos
Seriously [expletive] off if you’re going to try to turn this into an anti cyclist thread.

People in cars are a holes. Carcissists.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 4:18 pm 
Online
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7465
Location: Chicago, IL
lukethedrifter wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
The fact of these deaths is an admittedly gauche but also fairly practical and real: "accidents happen." If you're in a car-on-car crash you have steel and a seat belt and an airbag to protect you. Your car by law needs the airbag and you by law need to have the seatbelt on. If you're on a bike it's just you and the pavement. Bicyclists need to be extra cautious, because if they are in an accident with a car they're going to come out on the worse end every time. Thus, they really should be the most defensive drivers on the road. Often they are the most aggressive. If I hit and injured or heaven forbid killed a bicyclist I'd be devastated, and I think cyclists see motorists as the opposite: that motorists are out to run cyclists off the road.

You have a very one sided point of view. I bet it will be fruitless to try to convince you that American car centric culture is to blame for many cyclists’ deaths.


And I assume it would be fruitless to try to convince you that

Quote:
People in cars are a holes. Carcissists.


Is the most one-sided statement in this thread so far.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 4:23 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36901
Location: Huis Clos
33anda3rd wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
The fact of these deaths is an admittedly gauche but also fairly practical and real: "accidents happen." If you're in a car-on-car crash you have steel and a seat belt and an airbag to protect you. Your car by law needs the airbag and you by law need to have the seatbelt on. If you're on a bike it's just you and the pavement. Bicyclists need to be extra cautious, because if they are in an accident with a car they're going to come out on the worse end every time. Thus, they really should be the most defensive drivers on the road. Often they are the most aggressive. If I hit and injured or heaven forbid killed a bicyclist I'd be devastated, and I think cyclists see motorists as the opposite: that motorists are out to run cyclists off the road.

You have a very one sided point of view. I bet it will be fruitless to try to convince you that American car centric culture is to blame for many cyclists’ deaths.


And I assume it would be fruitless to try to convince you that

Quote:
People in cars are a holes. Carcissists.


Is the most one-sided statement in this thread so far.


It’s the entire point of the rant. So, yes. You don’t agree?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 5:00 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 24391
Location: Lost
All drivers are a holes. I hate them all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 5:19 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36901
Location: Huis Clos
Let me rephrase this for the easily offended driver of automobiles.

People who might otherwise be well socialized humans, treat other, more vulnerable humans with total disrespect and disregard for life and limb. Seems we think we’re driving slot cars. Pull up into the crosswalk? Why not? Quick right turn without checking for humans? There’s probably no one there, go ahead. Block other drivers’ access because you’re too busy in your own head to think about other people and how you might be making their day difficult, and really [expletive] up the flow of traffic.

Most of us make some incredibly inconsiderate and antisocial moves while driving. But a) let’s blame the more vulnerable and b) not show any self awareness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 10 19, 5:54 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 24391
Location: Lost
lukethedrifter wrote:
Let me rephrase this for the easily offended driver of automobiles.

People who might otherwise be well socialized humans, treat other, more vulnerable humans with total disrespect and disregard for life and limb. Seems we think we’re driving slot cars. Pull up into the crosswalk? Why not? Quick right turn without checking for humans? There’s probably no one there, go ahead. Block other drivers’ access because you’re too busy in your own head to think about other people and how you might be making their day difficult, and really [expletive] up the flow of traffic.

Most of us make some incredibly inconsiderate and antisocial moves while driving. But a) let’s blame the more vulnerable and b) not show any self awareness.


I agree with you.

Here in Az, it is a sign of weakness to use a turn indicator. People change once they get behind the wheel. I try really hard to be considerate, but it ain't easy sometimes.

I really do hate humans. Humans suck.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group