GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 11 19, 1:36 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7464
Location: Chicago, IL
Freed Roger wrote:
I dont think you guys can fairly project Chicago douchebags and Cub fans that also happen to be cyclists onto everywhere else. But [expletive] in cars are universal


I demand your view bow to the reality of my bubble.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 11 19, 1:51 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24293
Location: St. Louis
33anda3rd wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
I dont think you guys can fairly project Chicago douchebags and Cub fans that also happen to be cyclists onto everywhere else. But [expletive] in cars are universal


I demand your view bow to the reality of my bubble.

Spending 2 days in Chicago a year every other year or so makes me authority. :wink:
------------
My sis in-law who lives up there insists on making everything an ordeal -so we HAD to ride bikes to dinner in Northside. we didn't really know where the destination was, and had little choice but to follow. She had us biking on sidewalks with a lot of pedestrians. It wasn't cool at all. I must have apologized to at least a dozen people and had several more justly cursing me

I found my own way back later, but didnt have proper lighting on my bike for street riding -but I stayed in the street anyhow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 11 19, 3:18 pm 
Online
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36901
Location: Huis Clos
lukethedrifter wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Imagine if people in cars decided that the rules of the road only apply to them when they feel like it. Imagine if people in cars actually were the worst actors on the road. If they just blew through stop lights and made wide turns into oncoming traffic while going against traffic on a one-way street. If they just popped up onto sidewalks when they needed to--because, seriously, why should we have to stop for anything? Stopping is for the morally inferior among us.--and then popped down onto the street and squeezed between a couple other cars. Imagine if motorists drove like bicyclists.

The death toll would be a national emergency.

Apparently you haven’t been to St Louis.

I don’t think you got the joke.

/it’s not really a joke

We really don’t have a douchebag cyclists culture here so much. Oh i know a couple. Most of the local complaints i hear are like my father in law [expletive] about a guy slowing Clayton Rd traffic by, gasp, riding his bike. Or the people who get mad that a cyclist rolls a stop sign.

I’ve had people get right up on my ass then blow their horn, veer at me. Because roads are for cars.

Your Portland & Chitown mileage may vary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 11 19, 4:39 pm 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 21514
Location: Chicago
Freed Roger wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
I dont think you guys can fairly project Chicago douchebags and Cub fans that also happen to be cyclists onto everywhere else. But [expletive] in cars are universal


I demand your view bow to the reality of my bubble.

Spending 2 days in Chicago a year every other year or so makes me authority. :wink:
------------
My sis in-law who lives up there insists on making everything an ordeal -so we HAD to ride bikes to dinner in Northside. we didn't really know where the destination was, and had little choice but to follow. She had us biking on sidewalks with a lot of pedestrians. It wasn't cool at all. I must have apologized to at least a dozen people and had several more justly cursing me

I found my own way back later, but didnt have proper lighting on my bike for street riding -but I stayed in the street anyhow.


Oh hell no. Adults biking on the sidewalk is my ultimate pet peeve, probably even more than off-leash dogs. It's illegal, actually, to bike on the sidewalk if you are over age 12.

If you're too scared to ride on the actual street, just take the bus. Not a shot at you, Freed, I know you were just following orders.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 11 19, 7:53 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 24343
G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
I dont think you guys can fairly project Chicago douchebags and Cub fans that also happen to be cyclists onto everywhere else. But [expletive] in cars are universal


I demand your view bow to the reality of my bubble.

Spending 2 days in Chicago a year every other year or so makes me authority. :wink:
------------
My sis in-law who lives up there insists on making everything an ordeal -so we HAD to ride bikes to dinner in Northside. we didn't really know where the destination was, and had little choice but to follow. She had us biking on sidewalks with a lot of pedestrians. It wasn't cool at all. I must have apologized to at least a dozen people and had several more justly cursing me

I found my own way back later, but didnt have proper lighting on my bike for street riding -but I stayed in the street anyhow.


Oh hell no. Adults biking on the sidewalk is my ultimate pet peeve, probably even more than off-leash dogs. It's illegal, actually, to bike on the sidewalk if you are over age 12.

If you're too scared to ride on the actual street, just take the bus. Not a shot at you, Freed, I know you were just following orders.


In urban centers that makes sense, but it’s not illegal everywhere. You get out of the city and people are driving faster, there’s no bike lane and the sidewalks are practically empty. I’ve used them a lot around here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 12 19, 10:15 am 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 21514
Location: Chicago
ghostrunner wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
I dont think you guys can fairly project Chicago douchebags and Cub fans that also happen to be cyclists onto everywhere else. But [expletive] in cars are universal


I demand your view bow to the reality of my bubble.

Spending 2 days in Chicago a year every other year or so makes me authority. :wink:
------------
My sis in-law who lives up there insists on making everything an ordeal -so we HAD to ride bikes to dinner in Northside. we didn't really know where the destination was, and had little choice but to follow. She had us biking on sidewalks with a lot of pedestrians. It wasn't cool at all. I must have apologized to at least a dozen people and had several more justly cursing me

I found my own way back later, but didnt have proper lighting on my bike for street riding -but I stayed in the street anyhow.


Oh hell no. Adults biking on the sidewalk is my ultimate pet peeve, probably even more than off-leash dogs. It's illegal, actually, to bike on the sidewalk if you are over age 12.

If you're too scared to ride on the actual street, just take the bus. Not a shot at you, Freed, I know you were just following orders.


In urban centers that makes sense, but it’s not illegal everywhere. You get out of the city and people are driving faster, there’s no bike lane and the sidewalks are practically empty. I’ve used them a lot around here.


Sure, local customs shall apply. Here, it's not allowed. No doubt Freed got a lot of angry stares from pedestrians wondering what the hell this small group of adults were doing biking on the sidewalk. It's unbecoming.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 12 19, 10:49 am 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 24391
Location: Lost
Driving in to work this morning on the 303 - big loop around Phoenix metro.

3 to 4 lanes.

I am in the middle lane - 65 mph speed limit, cruise set at 71.

Both the lane to my right and the lane to my left are wide open.

Old lady comes flying up in the middle lane and tailgates me for about a mile until I moved over to the right lane, and then she blew by me giving me a dirty glance as she went by.

[expletive] you old lady - you could have easily gone around me, but you made me change lanes so you didn't have to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 12 19, 12:31 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Posts: 16908
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
wart57 wrote:
Driving in to work this morning on the 303 - big loop around Phoenix metro.

3 to 4 lanes.

I am in the middle lane - 65 mph speed limit, cruise set at 71.

Both the lane to my right and the lane to my left are wide open.

Old lady comes flying up in the middle lane and tailgates me for about a mile until I moved over to the right lane, and then she blew by me giving me a dirty glance as she went by.

[expletive] you old lady - you could have easily gone around me, but you made me change lanes so you didn't have to.

In this situation, I have been known to slowly decelerate until Mama Bluehair goes around. Screw her.

Not really. I mean, I wouldn't - it's just an expression.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 12 19, 1:25 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 24391
Location: Lost
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Driving in to work this morning on the 303 - big loop around Phoenix metro.

3 to 4 lanes.

I am in the middle lane - 65 mph speed limit, cruise set at 71.

Both the lane to my right and the lane to my left are wide open.

Old lady comes flying up in the middle lane and tailgates me for about a mile until I moved over to the right lane, and then she blew by me giving me a dirty glance as she went by.

[expletive] you old lady - you could have easily gone around me, but you made me change lanes so you didn't have to.

In this situation, I have been known to slowly decelerate until Mama Bluehair goes around. Screw her.

Not really. I mean, I wouldn't - it's just an expression.


What if she looked like this....

Spoiler: show
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People in cars
PostPosted: September 19 19, 2:45 pm 
Online
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36901
Location: Huis Clos
Oblivious jerks aka carcissists block side street intersection bc they need to be right up in the red light line not allowing room for me to get across EVEN THOUGH I WAS THERE AS THEY CREPT UP TO STANDSTILL.

DAMN THE BICYCLISTS.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group