Rant: people at concerts

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Rant: people at concerts

Post by lukethedrifter »

There is a fine line here, I mean you are talking about a rock concert not the symphony. Maybe the line is not that fine really since the dancers that are causing problems are usually trying to do so. And sometimes you just end up in the de facto aisle with people walking past constantly.

But as much as I dislike a*holes who are trying to create a problem or have zero sense of borders and personal space, I might dislike people who groan about how crowded or loud a concert is more.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Arthur Dent wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:Why the need to get two feet closer to the stage?
But if this is of no concern, why did you camp out to defend such a position? It's just not worth getting in fights about who can stand where. The closer you try and stand, the more likely that this sort of conflict will be a problem. I just stand further back and avoid the issue. Which, I suppose, is easy for me to say as I am tall.
It usually doesn't matter where you stand/sit at these free shows. There are always people who will want to sit in your lap when there's no assigned seating and it seems they're completely comfortable with it.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Arthur Dent wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:Why the need to get two feet closer to the stage?
But if this is of no concern, why did you camp out to defend such a position? It's just not worth getting in fights about who can stand where. The closer you try and stand, the more likely that this sort of conflict will be a problem. I just stand further back and avoid the issue. Which, I suppose, is easy for me to say as I am tall.

I would never get in someones way just so I was a few feet closer.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

IMADreamer wrote:I would never get in someones way just so I was a few feet closer.
In big crowds, you're always going to be in someone's way unless you're in the absolute back. There's conflict because people have different standards about what kind of space it's acceptable to step into (and some people are just jerks with no standards at all). The density usually goes down with distance, so somewhere in there you have to find a place you are comfortable standing. Being tall, if possible, I try to avoid standing in front of short people, and I don't stand too far forward where I will block more people and where things are more aggressive, but at some point, there's not much you more you can reasonably do. If you are trying to be right in front, you more or less have to expect conflict with the low and no standards folks.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I think that sort of social violation is the sort of thing you complain about, or post on an internet rant's forum. It's not the sort of thing you get in a fight for.

I complained, and I hate when people do stuff like that, but i've only come close to blows over someone in a crowd once out of the hundreds of concerts i've been to.

In that situation, I went to a concert with a bunch of young teenaged kids. It was a high energy techno concert and they started dancing wildly like you'd expect a bunch of young teenagers to do. They had their own space and most everyone in that spot was having fun.

But this one guy was too cool for it and was being annoyed that people 4 feet in front of him were jumping around. When they started moshing he moved forward and started pushing people back into the pit. No big deal, until he grabbed a tiny 15 year old girl and pushed her as hard as he could. She didn't even noticed, and she wasn't hurt, but I went over and yelled at the guy.

It's kind of case-in-point. Annoying concert people are annoying, but you don't get in fights over it. And you don't pick on 15 year old girls.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Arthur Dent wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:I would never get in someones way just so I was a few feet closer.
In big crowds, you're always going to be in someone's way unless you're in the absolute back. There's conflict because people have different standards about what kind of space it's acceptable to step into (and some people are just jerks with no standards at all). The density usually goes down with distance, so somewhere in there you have to find a place you are comfortable standing. Being tall, if possible, I try to avoid standing in front of short people, and I don't stand too far forward where I will block more people and where things are more aggressive, but at some point, there's not much you more you can reasonably do. If you are trying to be right in front, you more or less have to expect conflict with the low and no standards folks.
This is spot on, imo. As AD says, the problem at concerts is that everyone has a different idea of what constitutes proper etiquette, with some people just having none whatsoever. As a general rule, whenever you are near the front, even if you've been camped out there for 10 hours, you're going to have to put up with the crush of people once the show starts. The trick is to not worry about it. There are so many potential annoyances at concerts that if you let yourself obsess over them you're going to drive yourself crazy and not have a good time. At free municipal concerts where all the riff-raff within 25 miles turns up, forget about it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

2nd concert in a row I’ve had to ask people if they were going to stop talking at some point. Last time it was 4 late sixty something adults at the Willie Nelson show in Cape G. Walked in talking during opening act and only quieted down after i said something.

Last night it was two or three people in a group of right behind us, maybe 30 y/o or so. Ended up getting told to go [expletive] myself, then threatened to get stomped by one guy’s posse, then double flipped off. Oh, and then an apology. WTF? I was a hero to everyone else sitting nearby although i really just wanted to see a concert.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I was at Wilco one time and they started playing "Impossible Germany". Guy behind us started telling his buddy how great the guitar solo is, then proceeded to talk though the guitar solo. Bring back the mosh pit!

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

We went to here a live band two weeks ago and there was a hilarious incident where this one drunk guy was bumping into another guy. Finally the other guy has had enough and literally gives a Stone Cold stunner to the drunk guy. I'm not sure a stunner, other than the kick to the mids really hurts but it was hilarious to see play out.

With that said, we haven't been to a concert in a good while. We are both becoming home bodies. I think we are going to Bob Seger though this fall.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Kudos to the tall people in this thread that make an effort not to be a total dickhead at shows.

I'm 6'0, but my girlfriend is short and it never fails, the tallest person in venue finds us and stands right in front of us.

I get it that you can't help that you're tall and i also get it that you shouldnt have to accommodate *anyone* at a show, but idk seems like there should an unspoken courtesy.

Last year, my girlfriend and I scored tickets to a secret lumineers show at Americana Fest here in nashville. My gf is lukewarm on them, but i was stoked.

So naturally, it's already a chore for her to even enjoy the show.

Given that it was a secret show, the venue wasnt jam-packed because admission was well below the capacity. BUT, given that, everyone was packed near the stage.

We made it a point to get there early so we could find a place center stage....we were two-deep from the stage. Great spot.

But then, everyone started piling in, one thing lead to another and all of a sudden the two tallest people in the building (one of which was a girl) were planted right in front of us. Didn't bother me much because i could see just fine, but obviously my gf can't.

Not only were these people obstructing views, but they were also monopolizing all the space around them. MY gf could have easily fit in right next them against the rail, but they simply refused to budge.

Needless to say, she did not have a good time.

I've gotten to the point where i won't do stadium/amphitheater shows for the most part. and if i have to, i refuse to sit on the lawn or somewhere that isn't either limited capacity or my spot isn't reserved.

People in general are just inconsiderate dickheads.