99% conan clips

Re: Canuckle Head Fans Riot after Stanley Cup Loss

Post by Jocephus »

i imagine they get overshadowed by the nba finals too

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

jim wrote:So what were the final TV ratings on this thing? I know there are hockey fans out there, my brother is a big fan. But I honestly didn't even realize they were playing, or who was playing, until game 7. I wonder if I am the norm with that.
They should structure the finals to wrap up in late February, the playoffs leading up to the finals would go up against football but mainly just on weekends.- its seasonal for hockey and it is the time window where very little is going on in the sports world. Once the weather turns, NCAAs and baseball starts -then hockey season is over, except for fanatics.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

thrill wrote:If the riot were for something actually notable, this photo would be one of the most iconic of all-time:

Wow. That's fantastic. I had a moment like that once in the midst of a giant food fight.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Pretty nice ass there.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

jim wrote:So what were the final TV ratings on this thing? I know there are hockey fans out there, my brother is a big fan. But I honestly didn't even realize they were playing, or who was playing, until game 7. I wonder if I am the norm with that.
Game 7 got a 5.8 overnight rating in the U.S. That's about 8.2-8.5 million viewers. In Canada, it was probably three to four times that many. It also was the most-watched hockey game of all time.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Game 7 got a 5.8 overnight rating in the U.S. That's about 8.2-8.5 million viewers. In Canada, it was probably three to four times that many. It also was the most-watched hockey game of all time.
Drew a 43.6 rating in Boston alone. Wonder how many of those 8.2-8.5MM were outside New England. On the breakdown by the half-hour, the overwhelmingly most-watched half-hour block was the 10:30PM Eastern block. Or, more people tuned in to watch the skating of the Cup than the winning of it (9+MM viewers in that block, compared to under 7MM for the first two half-hour periods of the broadcast.)

Not the most-watched hockey game of all time. The most-watched Game 7 of an NHL Finals of all-time. Last year's CHI-PHI had a bigger draw. US-Canada in the last Olympics drew a viewership of 27.6 million. Still, though, good sign for the league.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

How does this compare to the NBA? Those pretty much compete head on.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

jim wrote:How does this compare to the NBA? Those pretty much compete head on.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/1 ... 76964.html
NEW YORK -- The NBA's championship-winning game for the Dallas Mavericks on Sunday was seen by nearly 24 million people, leading ABC to its most-watched week during the slow summer season in nearly 10 years.

The Nielsen Co. said the Mavericks' series victory over the Miami Heat was seen by an average of 17.3 million people over the six games. That's a little less than the viewership for last year's Lakers-Celtics series, which had the advantage of going to a climactic seventh game.
I only think the two compete in season only. There's bound to be some overlap between the two audiences, but I doubt it's all that much.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

jim wrote:How does this compare to the NBA? Those pretty much compete head on.
Not sure if they compete head-on too much.

Hockey audiences are very local, and the NBA has a more national audience, and just an overwhelmingly bigger audiece in total in the US. Last year in Chicago you could not go into a bar during the NHL playoffs and not get wrapped up in televised Blackhawks games. Wrigleyville erupted, with people flooding onto Clark Street, the second the winning goal was scored. The whole city was a hockey town....for about six weeks.

Same time one year later, good luck finding a bar showing hockey. I walked down Clark last night from the iO to Roscoe, and every bar I passed had the Cubs game on. Not sure I noticed more than one or two TVs showing hockey. But during the NBA Finals, even during Cubs games, every bar on Clark Street was packed with people watching and cheering a basketball team from Dallas.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

thrill wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:What is that^
People making out during the Canucks riots.
It looks like a movie set. It's also not where my hand would be.