Rave: Finding Bigfoot

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Rave: Finding Bigfoot

Post by Hungary Jack »

I don't think they'll ever find Bigfoot, but it sure is fun to watch them try.

My favorite character is James "Bobo" Fay, a mountain of a man whose role apparently is to play Sasquatch in the filmed witness re-enactments so they can compare film footage or other corroborating artifacts.

There is the scientist Ranae, whose unorthodox spelling of a classic French name suggests redneck heritage, and whose role appears to be casting an obligatory doubt on any artifacts offered as evidence.

And then there is Cliff, whose role is to add nothing.

And finally there is Matt Moneymaker, the lawyer [expletive]-Bigfoot researcher who views every possible smidgen of questionable evidence as irrefutable proof of "bigfoot behavior." If there is a more fervent Sasquatch believer on the planet, I'll dress up in a gorilla suit and run through the Ozarks.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Rave: Finding Bigfoot

Post by IMADreamer »

I'm 100% sure that if Bigfoot existed someone would have hit him with his car on I-70 by now. or something. There is just too many people in this world for a Bigfoot to exists without us knowing.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I generally agree with IMA. That show is pretty funny just because it's so ridiculous. I watched it a few times to see if there was any real science in it, but there just wasn't. They've got some good techniques -- like the heat-imaging cameras -- but most of it is just too easily faked. The calling sounds. The hitting the trees with a stick sounds. It's just too easy to have a producer or Bobo off camera doing that stuff.

I compare it to mountain lions in Missouri. There are a few here and there and they are extremely elusive animals. But, the few that are here are frequently seen, tracked, and referenced by the MO Conservation Department. There might only be a couple dozen in the Ozarks, but we are certain that they are there and have ample evidence of them.

I'll believe in bigfoot when I hear about a park or conservation service official who encounters one (or evidence of one) and provides a scientific accounting of his/her experience. Maybe that's out there and I'm not familiar with it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Fat Strat wrote:I generally agree with IMA. That show is pretty funny just because it's so ridiculous. I watched it a few times to see if there was any real science in it, but there just wasn't. They've got some good techniques -- like the heat-imaging cameras -- but most of it is just too easily faked. The calling sounds. The hitting the trees with a stick sounds. It's just too easy to have a producer or Bobo off camera doing that stuff.

I compare it to mountain lions in Missouri. There are a few here and there and they are extremely elusive animals. But, the few that are here are frequently seen, tracked, and referenced by the MO Conservation Department. There might only be a couple dozen in the Ozarks, but we are certain that they are there and have ample evidence of them.

I'll believe in bigfoot when I hear about a park or conservation service official who encounters one (or evidence of one) and provides a scientific accounting of his/her experience. Maybe that's out there and I'm not familiar with it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
FWIW, Reinhold Messner vows he encountered a Yeti in 1986 while hiking between Himalayan villages, and on 3 other occasions.

I think 99.9% of all "sightings" and pieces of evidence are fakes, but it only takes one valid sighting to confirm its existence. This is why I haven't written the thing off entirely as a giant hoax.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

um...what are you guys talking about? there was a whole documentary made about this creature. it exists
[SHOW]

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

The keyword there is valid.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Is it wrong I had to look up who Reinhold Messner was? Sounds like a credible guy and if he has claimed to see one then maybe I'll leave that 1% chance they exists open.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I watched an episode On Demand the other night because of this thread and immediately became disinterested to the point of doing laundry instead of watching.

First of all, there's very little science involved. One experiment involved taking an 'eye witness' to the point they saw an animal, sent a guy with a rod to where she saw it and had her tell her how tall the animal was based on being in roughly the same areas and memory. They determined it was a 10' tall animal and therefore had to be a bigfoot. That's stupid. They look for anything that can point to the existence of these things and claim it as proof.

Second, the majority of them are a bunch of quacks.

Third, and most damning of all, if these things range from Alaska to Georgia, they can live ANYWHERE in the US. There has never been ONE clear photo showing the existence of them. All images are grainy bull [expletive] that could have been photoshopped/camera malfunction/etc and even these are few and far between. Further, there have to be a billion game cameras in the wilderness throughout the US that produce quality images to judge the size of deer/hogs/bears/elk/anyhing you can imagine and never has a single game camera - despite taking a picture of everything that moves in the middle of nowhere - caught an image of one.

To believe these things exist, you have to believe that they are intelligent enough to make a conscience decision to avoid humans at all costs, are smart enough to do so - meaning they have to not only understand how technology (cameras) and civilization (roadways & populated places) function but also how to avoid them at ALL costs - and yet somehow have avoided populating their species to the limits their environment can sustain.

That's insanity.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

But .... absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Got you!

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Hungary Jack wrote: FWIW, Reinhold Messner vows he encountered a Yeti in 1986 while hiking between Himalayan villages, and on 3 other occasions.

I think 99.9% of all "sightings" and pieces of evidence are fakes, but it only takes one valid sighting to confirm its existence. This is why I haven't written the thing off entirely as a giant hoax.
It was probably Bill Walton taking a walk, or Richard Kiel on vacation.