Rave: Finding Bigfoot

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Rave: Finding Bigfoot

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Arthur Dent wrote:But .... absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Got you!
I know you were somewhat kidding and I'm going to act like you weren't becasue I'm curious.

Regarding the bolded part, I'd be curious to how scientists view this as your search timeline approaches infinity with zero hard evidence.

Does God exist? Does Bigfoot exist? Do aliens exist? Do ghosts/angles/demons/etc exist? There are all sorts of things that people believe in with limited evidence of. So, science doesn't rule out God, aliens, ghosts/angels/demons/etc because there is a possibility of it and the regular biological patterns that species exhibit don't apply.

But, hasn't it been proven that species will populate a place to the point their surroundings can support? If that's the case, yetis are smart enough to avoid all human detection methods and rarely, rarely, rarely be seen, but at the same time so inept they can't populate the wilderness beyond what they've done to a point detection is easy....unless they restrict their population to stay of the radar of human detection which is a thought so preposterous you cna throw it out.

Even mountain lions, which aren't native to America and not recognized by many Wildlife agencies, have been found and there is evidence of them beyond the eye witness accounts.

Why is there no hard evidence of yetis if they have existed for all time?

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

To believe these things exist, you have to believe that they are intelligent enough to make a conscience decision to avoid humans at all costs, are smart enough to do so - meaning they have to not only understand how technology (cameras) and civilization (roadways & populated places) function but also how to avoid them at ALL costs - and yet somehow have avoided populating their species to the limits their environment can sustain.
That's why I find the idea of the bigfoot to be more believable in a place like the Himalayas than anywhere in the US. It is hard to deny all the eyewitness accounts that claim they've seen one -- I'm sure not all of them are hoaxes; some of those people saw something -- but it's equally hard to believe that none of those people were able to capture any decent image or provide any reasonable evidence.

Also, go back to the 1800's. If there were bigfoots, then early trappers and trackers would have encountered them. They surely would have been in higher abundance before man settled the lower 48, but as far as I know, we can't point to any reasonable story, any pelts, any science, any anything from that era.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Even mountain lions, which aren't native to America and not recognized by many Wildlife agencies, have been found and there is evidence of them beyond the eye witness accounts.
Mountain lions aren't native to America? Where did you dig that up?
Americas lion has roamed throughout the Americas for at least 50,000 years. From deserts to humid coast forests, lions live from sea level to snow-covered mountains. They once ranged from coast to coast and from South America into Northern Canada. Today, because of habitat loss and efforts to exterminate mountain lions in North America, sustainable populations exist in only 12 Western U.S. states, and the Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Huh. I heard that from a Game and Fish official here in Arkansas. He said they weren't native to America and Arkansas Game and Fish didn't recognize them as being in the state despite overwhelming evidence there is.

I guess he just meant Arkansas? Who knows.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Huh. I heard that from a Game and Fish official here in Arkansas. He said they weren't native to America and Arkansas Game and Fish didn't recognize them as being in the state despite overwhelming evidence there is.

Wonder if he meant that the ones currently in Arkansas aren't native to Arkansas. I guess they're migrating in from Texas or something. That explains the puma activity Missouri has seen recently.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Fat Strat wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Huh. I heard that from a Game and Fish official here in Arkansas. He said they weren't native to America and Arkansas Game and Fish didn't recognize them as being in the state despite overwhelming evidence there is.

Wonder if he meant that the ones currently in Arkansas aren't native to Arkansas. I guess they're migrating in from Texas or something. That explains the puma activity Missouri has seen recently.

HAHA. That was awesome.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I watched an episode On Demand the other night because of this thread and immediately became disinterested to the point of doing laundry instead of watching.

First of all, there's very little science involved. One experiment involved taking an 'eye witness' to the point they saw an animal, sent a guy with a rod to where she saw it and had her tell her how tall the animal was based on being in roughly the same areas and memory. They determined it was a 10' tall animal and therefore had to be a bigfoot. That's stupid. They look for anything that can point to the existence of these things and claim it as proof.
Welcome to the world of Matt Moneymaker logic. It's a sight to behold.

The show really is entertaining. It's like watching liberals sit around and discuss economics.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Fat Strat wrote:
To believe these things exist, you have to believe that they are intelligent enough to make a conscience decision to avoid humans at all costs, are smart enough to do so - meaning they have to not only understand how technology (cameras) and civilization (roadways & populated places) function but also how to avoid them at ALL costs - and yet somehow have avoided populating their species to the limits their environment can sustain.
That's why I find the idea of the bigfoot to be more believable in a place like the Himalayas than anywhere in the US. It is hard to deny all the eyewitness accounts that claim they've seen one -- I'm sure not all of them are hoaxes; some of those people saw something -- but it's equally hard to believe that none of those people were able to capture any decent image or provide any reasonable evidence.

Also, go back to the 1800's. If there were bigfoots, then early trappers and trackers would have encountered them. They surely would have been in higher abundance before man settled the lower 48, but as far as I know, we can't point to any reasonable story, any pelts, any science, any anything from that era.
Not trying to prove the existence of Bigfoot, but your last argument doesn't make much sense. Relative to the number of people exploring the great outdoors today, the number of trappers plying the western river valleys in the early 1800s must have been quite small. Trappers for the most part kept to the low valleys and worked during the day. If you buy the "evidence of sightings", Bigfoots live primarily in the Pacific Northwest, which was not heavily trapped during the height of the fur trade (most trapping was east of the Divide).

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

What if Bigfoots are close enough to homo sapiens that they can hide in plain sight, as functioning members of society, only to return to the wilderness when they need a break or have a three day weekend?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

G. Keenan wrote:What if Bigfoots are close enough to homo sapiens that they can hide in plain sight, as functioning members of society, only to return to the wilderness when they need a break or have a three day weekend?
This is the key. Look for co-workers who never go to the bathroom. They're like poop camels. They're holding stuff in for weeks at a time, then driving off to the woods to release pounds and pounds of poop and gallons of urine.