Breakfast in STL

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Breakfast in STL

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
I'm looking forward to the opening of the Southwest Diner.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/d ... 0f31a.html

Interesting, a google search led me to their fundraising/investment site http://fundstlouis.org/2011/07/southwest-diner/
I'd look forward to it, but see only $20 put on that investment site.

We had great breakfasts in New Mexico (eggs with chile sauce, good produce etc). Actually, all the meals were great - the New Mex style is a new favorite food style for us. Anyways, I've been on a bit of a breakfast kick since New Mexico and have been looking for something comparable in STL.
[SHOW]

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Oh I would love a mexican breakfast place.

I get the Bacado at First Watch - it's an omelet with avocado, salsa and bacon (which I substitute for turkey sausage) and I add jalapenos.

Also, on the weekends, Casa Gallardo has a mexican brunch buffet.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Probably my favorite breakfasts ever were in New Mexico.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

I had breakfast when I was in Mexico and it was pretty hilarious. They tried to make it "american" style. It ended up being little hot dogs (I guess this is what they thought breakfast sausage links were) and really runny eggs. The eggs kind of scared me, so I just ate a lot of little hot dogs.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Does anyone have an opinion on Vin de Set? I made reservations for a dinner party Sat. night and I've never been there. One of my NY resolutions is making weekly trips to STL restaurants I've never visited.

docellis

Post by docellis »

I went in the spring and sat on the deck/balcony. It is a great, great view. I thought it was a little overpriced, but it is possible that my palate just isn't sophisticated enough to know why my meal cost so much. The food (I had the bouillabaisse) was very good, though.

edit - I think the same people own 1111 Mississippi, which was also very good.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

We enjoyed it for dinner once, and also outside on the deck a few times (weak beer selection back then).

Pricey is right, but I'm sure you don't have to go full bore thru the menu to enjoy it.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I've never been, but I work with a few people who used to work there, and they have a pretty solid opinion of the place, which is definitely a good thing.

Went to Rooster the other day and was underwhelmed. The Bailey's places are hit and miss for me I guess. Chocolate Bar is goofy, but I love Bridge. Maybe Range is cool.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Overpriced and not that good, but the ladies that were with us liked it, so what do I know. Keep in mind I think French food in general is not that good, so I might not be the best reference.

docellis

Post by docellis »

diablitos cantina has mexican breakfast....

Huevos y Chilies – Tender baked pastry filled with scrambled eggs, roasted poblano peppers and jack cheese served with a side of salsa verde. 4.00
Carne y Papas – Flaky handmade turn over stuffed with chorizo, potatoes and jack cheese. Baked and served with a side of salsa verde. 5.00
Chiliqueles – Classic Mexican breakfast – A delicious casserole of tortillas, ranchero sauce, Jack cheese and scrambled eggs. Guaranteed to tame the Diablitos from the night before. 6.00
Breakfast Burro – Tender fresh made flour tortilla loaded with scrambled eggs, queso blanco, pico de gallo, hash browns and chilies. 6.00 add bacon or house made chorizo. 1.00
Churros – Mexican doughnuts spiced with cinnamon and sugar served with chocolate sauce on the side for dipping. 3.00