Jamie Moyer

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

Jamie Moyer

Post by go birds »

If he makes the team, he'll be the oldest player ever to play at the age of 50.

Who currently holds that title? Julio Franco?

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Re: Jamie Moyer

Post by cards2468 »

go birds wrote:If he makes the team, he'll be the oldest player ever to play at the age of 50.

Who currently holds that title? Julio Franco?
Satchel Paige?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

You may be right. I'm listening to the Rockies giants broadcast and they were discussing this. They mentioned satchel Paige but didn't specify.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

I heard Paige pitched one game at age 58.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

BW23 wrote:I heard Paige pitched one game at age 58.
Yeah, he was 59. Pitched 3 innings, only gave up one hit. But that was a bit of a publicity stunt; Moyer has a good shot of actually making the Rockies' rotation.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Nobody knows for sure how old Satchell was, including himself.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Didn't Bill Veeck bring back Minnie Minoso for one White Sox appearance, with his age in the late 50's? I was a kid, so I believe it was in the early 1980's.

EDIT: Doesn't say in wiki that he was the oldest to play, though.
In 1976, after several years playing in Mexico, Miñoso returned to MLB to play three games with the White Sox. He picked up one single in eight at bats, becoming, at age 50, the second-oldest player ever to get a base hit in the Major Leagues (Hall of Famer Jim O'Rourke was the oldest when he hit safely at age 54 on September 22, 1904). Miñoso then returned to appear in two more games with the Sox in 1980. His five stints with Chicago cemented his image as a local baseball icon for at least three generations of White Sox fans
He is one of just two players in Major League history to play in five separate decades (1940s-1980s), the other being Nick Altrock. With brief appearances with the independent Northern League's St. Paul Saints in 1993 and 2003, Miñoso is the only player to have played professionally in seven different decades. He was also the last Major Leaguer to have played in the 1940s to play a Major League game.
Last edited by st.lewis11 on March 7 12, 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I hope Moyer makes it. He's old and crusty. I like that.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

st.lewis11 wrote:Didn't Bill Veeck bring back Minnie Minoso for one White Sox appearance, with his age in the late 50's? I was a kid, so I believe it was in the early 1980's.

In 1976, after several years playing in Mexico, Miñoso returned to MLB to play three games with the White Sox. He picked up one single in eight at bats, becoming, at age 50, the second-oldest player ever to get a base hit in the Major Leagues (Hall of Famer Jim O'Rourke was the oldest when he hit safely at age 54 on September 22, 1904). Miñoso then returned to appear in two more games with the Sox in 1980. His five stints with Chicago cemented his image as a local baseball icon for at least three generations of White Sox fans
He is one of just two players in Major League history to play in five separate decades (1940s-1980s), the other being Nick Altrock. With brief appearances with the independent Northern League's St. Paul Saints in 1993 and 2003, Miñoso is the only player to have played professionally in seven different decades. He was also the last Major Leaguer to have played in the 1940s to play a Major League game.

Footnote to Minoso (who was with the Cards in 1963): The White Sox were going to activate him in 1990 so he could take an AB and become the first six decade player, but MLB decided enough was enough and refused to grant permission.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Jmodene wrote:
st.lewis11 wrote:Didn't Bill Veeck bring back Minnie Minoso for one White Sox appearance, with his age in the late 50's? I was a kid, so I believe it was in the early 1980's.

Footnote to Minoso (who was with the Cards in 1963): The White Sox were going to activate him in 1990 so he could take an AB and become the first six decade player in MLB history (as opposed to just pro ball in general), but MLB decided enough was enough and refused to grant permission.