2012 Minor League discussion

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Socnorb11
The Last Word

2012 Minor League discussion

Post by Socnorb11 »

Adams is still hitting. Wong is raking at AA. Cox his his first AAA homer last night, but has struggled overall.

But the thing that I noticed last night is that Taveras has been playing centerfield (and he's continuing to hit, also). Is he legitimate in centerfield? If he can play THAT position reasonably well, and hit the way we think he can hit, he's going to be tremendously valuable.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2012 Minor League discussion

Post by pioneer98 »

Boy, I don't know. Taveras does have a very good arm, but he is pretty average speed-wise for a CF, IMO. Just my opinion from what I saw from him last year. I think he could be a decent outfielder, but not spectacular or anything. His arm is his biggest asset out there.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I've heard that he is a bit raw out there in the OF. Needs a lot of work on the fundamentals. In other words, don't expect him to be Jon Jay when he finally gets up here.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Saw a tweet from Kevin Goldstein either yesterday or today that said Tavares isn't going to stick in center.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

John Sickels has this to say about Wong in a recent column:
The 2011 first-round pick from the University of Hawaii has a terrific swing with solid plate discipline and above-average power. He's also a fine defender at second base, and if current trends hold he should be ready for the majors by this time next year, if not sooner.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Hungary Jack wrote:John Sickels has this to say about Wong in a recent column:
The 2011 first-round pick from the University of Hawaii has a terrific swing with solid plate discipline and above-average power. He's also a fine defender at second base, and if current trends hold he should be ready for the majors by this time next year, if not sooner.
That pick is looking real nice at this point.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I've seen howie Kendrick comparisons.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

If he makes it, it will be weird to have a plus defender at 2B. Grudz was probably the last.

Geronimo Pena was supposed to be good too.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

Shelby had a slightly better start tonight. 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 9 K. Still far from expectations, but at least he is slowly rounding into form.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:John Sickels has this to say about Wong in a recent column:
That pick is looking real nice at this point.
WAY more polished than expected (both offensively and defensively). I HAAATTTEEEEDDDD the pick because to be a good pick there as a 2B-only prospect, you have to be a great hitter and profile as an above average regular in the major leagues.

Well, looks like Wong is looking like he could be that and more.