Berkman might be heading to the DL

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Re: Berkman might be heading to the DL

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Radbird wrote:I could see Lance next year in a role similar to the one Giambi fills for the Rockies. Big bat off the bench and occasional starter at 1B.

If he's interested in that role, that is.
Unless he has another year like 2010 I think its a few years too early to think he becomes the designated pinch hitter of sorts. He was one of the 20 best hitters in all of baseball last season and can still play the field. Giambi was basically a DH 4 or 5 years removed from that top 20 consideration when he took that role. Unless something happens to Craig or Beltran I agree that if Berkman remains a Cardinal that would be his role, but if he wants to look elsewhere he will be able to find something.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Puma's aiming to be back Friday now, according to somebody.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

heyzeus wrote:Puma's aiming to be back Friday now, according to somebody.
Article:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 525e4.html

Berkman said he understood the new plan to be that, if healthy, he would be activated Friday when the Cardinals are back home.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

With Craig and Adams potentially able to play 1B next year unless if Berkman goes to hit 30+ homers this year I don't know why you would spend 10-13 million on Berkman for next year.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

JoeMcKim wrote:With Craig and Adams potentially able to play 1B next year unless if Berkman goes to hit 30+ homers this year I don't know why you would spend 10-13 million on Berkman for next year.
++

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

doe_boy wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:With Craig and Adams potentially able to play 1B next year unless if Berkman goes to hit 30+ homers this year I don't know why you would spend 10-13 million on Berkman for next year.
++
Also, re: Greenback's post about Loney continuing to get ABs as the Dodgers 1st baseman, it is crazy that we probably have three first basemen better than him.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

doe_boy wrote:
++
I'll continue to disagree with this line of thinking. To me, that's how you go from a first place team to a 3rd or 4th place team really quickly. Berkman gets paid money like that because he's much more productive than a replacement level 1B, which is all you could consider Craig or Adams at this point. Now, if Craig outhits him this year and it becomes apparent that Berkman is no longer worth that kind of money, that's one thing, but that's yet to be determined.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

I thought it was a given that we wouldn't keep Berkman past 2012.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Richie Allen wrote:
doe_boy wrote:
++
I'll continue to disagree with this line of thinking. To me, that's how you go from a first place team to a 3rd or 4th place team really quickly. Berkman gets paid money like that because he's much more productive than a replacement level 1B, which is all you could consider Craig or Adams at this point. Now, if Craig outhits him this year and it becomes apparent that Berkman is no longer worth that kind of money, that's one thing, but that's yet to be determined.
I think we should see how the season plays out. They paid Walker $12M at 38 in 2005 after a year in which he played 80 games. Right now Berkman's missed 21 games. That means normal work load for the rest of year is 110-120 games and if he can post an .850-900 OPS over the season I think he's probably still almost as valuable last year since he's not a defensive liability at first.

Besides that, where are you gonna spend that money in the off-season? Cole Hamels? Colby Lewis? Josh Hamilton? There's no 2B on the market. They'll have $25-30M to spend and nothing to really spend it on. I don't think you let Berkman walk at all, you remember when Chris Duncan tore up the league for two seasons? Remember when Ryan Ludwick hit 30 home runs? Even with his aches, Berkman's a safer bet than Craig or Adams and if you can get him back for another 1 year 12M type deal you do it, but I also don't think I'd go two years unless it was a big discount.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

vinsanity wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
doe_boy wrote:
++
I think we should see how the season plays out. They paid Walker $12M at 38 in 2005 after a year in which he played 80 games. Right now Berkman's missed 21 games. That means normal work load for the rest of year is 110-120 games and if he can post an .850-900 OPS over the season I think he's probably still almost as valuable last year since he's not a defensive liability at first.

Besides that, where are you gonna spend that money in the off-season? Cole Hamels? Colby Lewis? Josh Hamilton? There's no 2B on the market. They'll have $25-30M to spend and nothing to really spend it on. I don't think you let Berkman walk at all, you remember when Chris Duncan tore up the league for two seasons? Remember when Ryan Ludwick hit 30 home runs? Even with his aches, Berkman's a safer bet than Craig or Adams and if you can get him back for another 1 year 12M type deal you do it, but I also don't think I'd go two years unless it was a big discount.

Exactly. It's always nice when the kids come up and can handle the job, but you still like to have some proven talent on board, especially if they're productive.