"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: advice solicitation

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Popeye_Card wrote:Cabrera and Miller.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Should I take the trade offered, Sterling Marte and Todd Frazier for Carlos Gonzalez (me)? Keep in mind I've had Will Middlebrooks and Freese trying to fill my 3B slot. My other two outfielders besides CarGo are Holliday and Beltran.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

planet p wrote:Should I take the trade offered, Sterling Marte and Todd Frazier for Carlos Gonzalez (me)? Keep in mind I've had Will Middlebrooks and Freese trying to fill my 3B slot. My other two outfielders besides CarGo are Holliday and Beltran.
No. Never give up 1st round, elite talent feeling you need to fill a weak spot.

Marte is good, but a clear step down from CarGo. Frazier is solid, but will not be great. Honestly, these are guys you can duplicate in other ways. CarGo, you cannot.

There's a few options I think you are better off exploring.

a.) If you're willing to give up CarGo, shop him for one of the better 3B's--in the Wright/Beltre/Longo class. There's bound to be an OF bouncing around on the waiver wire that can produce better than Freese/Middlebrooks.

b.) If you're still interested in Marte and Frazier, I'd maybe consider countering with Holliday instead. That feels more appropriate (maybe throw in Freese). Plus I don't like Holliday for the 2nd half of the season. The last two seasons he has faded down the stretch. I'd sell high on him.

c.) If you're mostly interested in Frazier, I'd do Beltran for Frazier straight-up.

d.) Do you have absolutely no other options for 3B? I wouldn't hesitate to drop Freese to try my luck on a younger waiver wire guy with upside or a guy on a hot streak. Gyorko, Moustakas, Donaldson, Arenado--any of these guys on the wire? Take your chances streaming waiver wire 3B's on hot streaks before giving up a 1st rounder so that you can acquire Todd Frazier.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Popeye_Card wrote:
planet p wrote:Should I take the trade offered, Sterling Marte and Todd Frazier for Carlos Gonzalez (me)? Keep in mind I've had Will Middlebrooks and Freese trying to fill my 3B slot. My other two outfielders besides CarGo are Holliday and Beltran.
No. Never give up 1st round, elite talent feeling you need to fill a weak spot.

Marte is good, but a clear step down from CarGo. Frazier is solid, but will not be great. Honestly, these are guys you can duplicate in other ways. CarGo, you cannot.

There's a few options I think you are better off exploring.

a.) If you're willing to give up CarGo, shop him for one of the better 3B's--in the Wright/Beltre/Longo class. There's bound to be an OF bouncing around on the waiver wire that can produce better than Freese/Middlebrooks.

b.) If you're still interested in Marte and Frazier, I'd maybe consider countering with Holliday instead. That feels more appropriate (maybe throw in Freese). Plus I don't like Holliday for the 2nd half of the season. The last two seasons he has faded down the stretch. I'd sell high on him.

c.) If you're mostly interested in Frazier, I'd do Beltran for Frazier straight-up.

d.) Do you have absolutely no other options for 3B? I wouldn't hesitate to drop Freese to try my luck on a younger waiver wire guy with upside or a guy on a hot streak. Gyorko, Moustakas, Donaldson, Arenado--any of these guys on the wire? Take your chances streaming waiver wire 3B's on hot streaks before giving up a 1st rounder so that you can acquire Todd Frazier.
I already dropped Freese last week and he was mostly on my bench anyway. Aramis Ramirez and Kyle Seager are available on the waiver wire. I think just picking up ARam is the way to go.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Yeah, either of those options is a much better way to go.

I'm going to change the theme of this thread to ranting for a moment. I hate trying to trade in my league. There is absolutely no way to work with the other guys to work out deals. I offer up pretty fair trades, either one-for-one where we help each other's weak areas, or quantity for quality. Nope. Nothing works. No counter offers or notes in the rejection. So basically you are stuck hoping guys drop a player to the waiver wire, because there's no other way to try to acquire them. I have 3 more quality OF's than I can even start, yet I can't seem to trade any of them for a decent RP. Ugh. Fantasy baseball is boring without trades, people.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Going to try and make a move for Trout. Thinking of offering up either Scherzer or Harvey.

2 questions:

1. Do you feel this is a reasonable offer?
2. If so, which SP would you part with?

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

mikechamp wrote:Going to try and make a move for Trout. Thinking of offering up either Scherzer or Harvey.

2 questions:

1. Do you feel this is a reasonable offer?
2. If so, which SP would you part with?
Not sure how active your league is, but in mine it is nearly impossible to get somebody to part with their first round pick. Especially a Trout. Unless they have just given up on the season.

But looking at your deal, you would start with one of those, and add a 2nd or 3rd round type of player (if the draft were held today). Harvey and Scherzer would likely be 3rd or 4th rounders. You have to offer the world to get a clear-cut top 3 pick.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Who do you feel will have the better 2013 season from here on out?

Carlos Gomez
Michael Cuddyer

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

mikechamp wrote:Who do you feel will have the better 2013 season from here on out?

Carlos Gomez
Michael Cuddyer
Hmm. Not a huge fan of either, but if forced to choose I would go Gomez, from the "speed doesn't slump" angle.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Popeye_Card wrote:
mikechamp wrote:Who do you feel will have the better 2013 season from here on out?

Carlos Gomez
Michael Cuddyer
Hmm. Not a huge fan of either, but if forced to choose I would go Gomez, from the "speed doesn't slump" angle.
I was thinking the same thing. Just a little concerned about the recent shoulder injury that has had him out since Sunday.