Rant: No Caffeine

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Rant: No Caffeine

Post by lukethedrifter »

Back in the late 80s prior to the Starbucks revolution, I carried a single cup manual drip coffee maker with me on my cross country cycling trips. I see no need to drink instant unless you just like the taste.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Gashouse wrote:Usually a percolator on a camp stove or over the fire
Yep, that's the way to do it.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Actually what I have been doing is that stuff that you use like a tea bag.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:Back in the late 80s prior to the Starbucks revolution, I carried a single cup manual drip coffee maker with me on my cross country cycling trips. I see no need to drink instant unless you just like the taste.
To me the VIAs are good enough. And they save having to carry the coffee maker. Pretty quick and easy - and I don't wake up the fellow campers in my party to make it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Can't see how what you are doing is any easier than what I'm doing. Unless you are skipping the part where you boil the water.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:Can't see how what you are doing is any easier than what I'm doing. Unless you are skipping the part where you boil the water.
marginal diff for me. I have a jetboil which is packed anyway for freeze drieds etc. maybe the packaging is slightly better than what I would carry coffee grounds in. It's not a case of having to have my Starbucks, since I typically don't drink Starbucks much in daily routine.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

You're going to boil water anyway, right? I just pour it over coffee grounds into my cup. So I need a cone filter and something to hold it. Weight? Negligible. Space? Very little. Starbucks? Irrelevant.

I like doing it and it tastes good.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

I gave up caffeine a month ago now, and I feel much calmer and even-keeled energy-wise throughout the day. I'm also sleeping much better. Granted, the first week or so off of caffeine is awful, with those heavy-headed headaches and no energy and just an absolute lack of problem-solving potential from your brain. But my sleep did improve markedly almost immediately. I try to give it up whenever I feel like I'm getting dependent (usually a few times a year). It always seems to creep back into daily life, but for now I'm enjoying life without caffeine. One of the benefits of going off of it is if you need a boost on a long drive or something, the drug has its desired effect (but then usually spoils sleep that night due to your brain feeling like it has no off switch).

When I am off of it, I always take a step back and realize how strange it is that most people are addicted to this stimulant and have to have it every day to be functional, myself included most of the time.

But I do miss iced tea in the summer and a hot cup of strong black tea in the morning when the weather cools down, so I'm sure I'll be lured back into caffeine's jittery embrace at some point.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Donnie Ebert wrote:I gave up caffeine a month ago now, and I feel much calmer and even-keeled energy-wise throughout the day. I'm also sleeping much better. Granted, the first week or so off of caffeine is awful, with those heavy-headed headaches and no energy and just an absolute lack of problem-solving potential from your brain. But my sleep did improve markedly almost immediately. I try to give it up whenever I feel like I'm getting dependent (usually a few times a year). It always seems to creep back into daily life, but for now I'm enjoying life without caffeine. One of the benefits of going off of it is if you need a boost on a long drive or something, the drug has its desired effect (but then usually spoils sleep that night due to your brain feeling like it has no off switch).

When I am off of it, I always take a step back and realize how strange it is that most people are addicted to this stimulant and have to have it every day to be functional, myself included most of the time.

But I do miss iced tea in the summer and a hot cup of strong black tea in the morning when the weather cools down, so I'm sure I'll be lured back into caffeine's jittery embrace at some point.
I’ve tried many times. You’re a stronger man than me.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

It’s interesting but caffeine doesn’t seem to greatly affect me & I like it that way. 5-6 cups of joe a day for me. And i like it.