Stephen Piscotty

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
go birds
-go birds

Re: Stephen Piscotty

Post by go birds »

was piscotty originally drafted as a 3B?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

good read luke.

the 2012 draft has been completely erased from my memory for some reason, other than wacha, i couldnt name you another person taken.

The cards top 10 is certainly looking vastly different than it has in the past with the graduation of all the fixtures from the past few years.

and yes go birds, piscotty was drafted as a 3B.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

lukethedrifter wrote:Piscotty and dgoold's Birdland 7.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... dg.twitter
Good stuff sir...I'm still not sure if I'll a do a 21 this year, but this piques the interest and stokes the fire for one.

STL_Cards
Get off my damn lawn you whippersnappers!

Post by STL_Cards »

What is the ceiling for Piscotty? Does he project as an everyday player for the Cardinals? I'm not sure where he'll fit...because Holliday-Bourjos-Taveras looks like the outfield for awhile.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

STL_Cards wrote:What is the ceiling for Piscotty? Does he project as an everyday player for the Cardinals? I'm not sure where he'll fit...because Holliday-Bourjos-Taveras looks like the outfield for awhile.
I've been wondering the same thing, and here's my theory:

2014: Holliday - Bourjos/Jay - Craig/Taveras
I think they platoon Taveras in RF to start the season, and have a strict platoon in CF (unless one of those 2 really stand out in spring).
I know Piscotty is the man of the moment, but barring something majorly out of the ordinary, I don't see him getting called up until September 2014 at the earliest. I'll also go on record as saying that I'm not completely sold on him yet.

2015: Holliday - Taveras/Bourjos - Craig/Piscotty
It seems the ideal plan would have Taveras parked in CF, but unless Bourjos's performance dictates otherwise, he should still be on the team as a defensive replacement (at a minimum).
Like Taveras, I don't see them handing Piscotty a full-time starting job on Day 1 of his MLB career. Also, Jay is probably traded away next offseason.

Keep in mind, what they decide to do with Adams will also play a major role in what RF looks like for the next 2 (or more) seasons.

I think they'll keep Adams through 2014 at least, if for no other reason than to help provide insurance for Craig, who has a hard time staying healthy for 162 games. I see Craig bouncing between 1B (where he should be) and RF (where they stick him when Adams plays). They're paying for Craig's bat in the lineup, but he can't hold up in RF for an entire season. The dilemma (for me) is that they have better defensive (range & arm) RF options at their disposal, but do they constantly gamble on bringing in a defensive replacement for Craig before, say, the 8th inning if he's in RF? Or, another way to look at it could be, who's defense do they prefer at 1B late in games: Adams or Craig? Maybe on days he starts in RF, he shifts to 1B as a defensive replacement?

Also, since we're in the minor league forum, don't forget about Ramsey, O'Neill, Grichuk and Pham. At some point, they're all going to be knocking on the proverbial OF door.

I get that the above is very stream of consciousness, but there are so many ways to move the pieces around. Good problem to have.
Last edited by mikechamp on November 26 13, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

If you have a platoon with two of your most talented players, you're doing it wrong, imo.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

AW--agreed.

"I think they'll keep Adams through 2014 at least, if for no other reason than to help provide insurance for Craig"--I think they'll keep him around b/c he's the best power hitter on the team, and potentially the best hitter-hitter on the team in a year or two, and is going to be one of the best 20 or so power hitters in baseball for the next 6-10 years. But then what do I know, I'm just the one guy who wan't underestimating Adams 2-3 years ago because I found pics of him looking fat on the internet.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

go birds wrote:was piscotty originally drafted as a 3B?
LOL yes. He had 22 errors in 36 games at 3B when he played in Quad Cities in 2012. Since then he's played all OF and DH.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardinals prospect OF Stephen Piscotty had another big game on Thursday, going 3-for-5 with a double, walk and three RBI for Triple-A Memphis.
The 23-year-old has now hit safely in all seven games to begin the season, including four multi-hit performances, and has driven in a run in all but one contest. Overall, Piscotty is batting .414 (12-for-29) with three doubles, eight RBI and a 5/3 strikeout-to-walk ratio for Memphis. Though he trails Oscar Taveras on the organizational depth chart, Piscotty could conceivably reach the majors before his highly touted teammate should the Cardinals' big league offense continue to struggle against left-handed pitching.
Apr 11 - 2:24 PM