Stock Market Talk

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Stock Market Talk

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

letsgocards89 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:And, now ONVO is down 20%
Yep. I was wrong. Again. It bounced off of 11 pretty hard, I figured it was done sinking.
I don't know if you are into stuff like this, but you can see the volume is actually spiking, not slowing down.

Increased volume is going to lead to increased stock price movement. So...you know. Be careful. It's picked up 30 cents in the time I have made this post.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

So I guess Google bought Boston Dynamics yesterday. Funny tweet about that was something like:
Google's slogans:
2004 - Do no evil
2010 - Evil is tough to define
2013 - We own military robots

But between Google's purchase of a company in the same sector, and an upgrade from an analyst, IRBT's stock jumped 20% today. It's up 70% since I bought in.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

They announced qe3 tapering today and the market, uh, exploded. Also, low interest rates forevah!!! Well until some point far in the futurw.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

3D systems (DDD) is down 26% today after cutting their forecast. Stratasys (SSYS) is being dragged down by DDD's bad news, down 12%.

Another buying opportunity! I expected the ride to be bumpy. The fundamentals haven't changed. One has zero debt, the other has a small amount. They are both profitable (although I think SSYS's profit has been dragged down by acquisition costs). In either case we are not talking about companies where you will have to wait a few years for them to turn a profit. They are making money now. Even with these drops, I'm still up 30% on SSYS and 40% on DDD in just over a year. I'm thinking about buying more.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

pioneer98 wrote:3D systems (DDD) is down 26% today after cutting their forecast. Stratasys (SSYS) is being dragged down by DDD's bad news, down 12%.

Another buying opportunity! I expected the ride to be bumpy. The fundamentals haven't changed. One has zero debt, the other has a small amount. They are both profitable (although I think SSYS's profit has been dragged down by acquisition costs). In either case we are not talking about companies where you will have to wait a few years for them to turn a profit. They are making money now. Even with these drops, I'm still up 30% on SSYS and 40% on DDD in just over a year. I'm thinking about buying more.
Their revenue didn't change, from what I saw, only their R&D costs. The vice versa of this happened a month ago or so when SSYS announced increased R&D/marketing costs but all forecasts remained relatively the same and SSYS dove 15% or so with DDD and the rest falling.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

So, Facebook paid $19 billion for Whatsapp, a text messaging company that has 55 employees, 450 million users and charges $1.99/year for its service, after giving the 1st year for free. Text messaging.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

That's absurd. Most of the payment, like $15 billion, that's billion with a B, is in stock form, I believe. But that is still $4 billion, again with a b, in cash paid for essentially a [expletive] text messaging app. I read they may as well have targeted facebook for a buyout:

1. Had all the demographics facebook is lacking and craves. Europeans, young'uns, mobile, etc
2. Posed a threat to facebook's mobile market.
3. Something else.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i so wish i took computer science or engineering courses so i could develop apps and hope one of them took off

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Jocephus wrote:i so wish i took computer science or engineering courses so i could develop apps and hope one of them took off
I don't think it's that tough to learn....

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i so wish i took computer science or engineering courses so i could develop apps and hope one of them took off
I don't think it's that tough to learn....
you do it and give me something on the back end