Stock Market Talk

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Stock Market Talk

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jocephus wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i so wish i took computer science or engineering courses so i could develop apps and hope one of them took off
I don't think it's that tough to learn....
you do it and give me something on the back end
10-4, it's on my to do list for the year.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

pioneer98 wrote:3D systems (DDD) is down 26% today after cutting their forecast. Stratasys (SSYS) is being dragged down by DDD's bad news, down 12%.

Another buying opportunity! I expected the ride to be bumpy. The fundamentals haven't changed. One has zero debt, the other has a small amount. They are both profitable (although I think SSYS's profit has been dragged down by acquisition costs). In either case we are not talking about companies where you will have to wait a few years for them to turn a profit. They are making money now. Even with these drops, I'm still up 30% on SSYS and 40% on DDD in just over a year. I'm thinking about buying more.
DDD and SSYS are back to the levels they were at previous to these meltdowns. That's to say, up something like 30% and 20%, respectively, from the time of your post.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:essentially a [expletive] text messaging app
I don't use it, but cell phone company text messaging charges are a massive rip-off. Surely, they will soon be replaced. iMessage has already done that in an irritatingly proprietary way.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Arthur Dent wrote:
I don't use it, but cell phone company text messaging charges are a massive rip-off. Surely, they will soon be replaced. iMessage has already done that in an irritatingly proprietary way.
Yeah, it fills a need, undoubtedly. But, it is not some breakthrough technology/format. There ways to get around paying text messaging rates right now.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:
Yeah, it fills a need, undoubtedly. But, it is not some breakthrough technology/format. There ways to get around paying text messaging rates right now.
as someone who has used WhatsApp, it's actually pretty cool because you can group group text between different types of phones which is a pain in the ass otherwise.

The only other apps that i know of that you can do that with is google hangouts, which sucks and bb messenger for iphone which is god awful.

but yea, back to the original point...$19 billion? cmon GRB let's all brainstorm, contact with each other, develop the app, ???, profit.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Something that combines a payment systems phone app with social networking. So that every time you pay for something from your cell phone, you get a special [expletive] medal or check-in Dukeship prize. I wouldn't use it, but all we need is to sell it to Facebook for a few billion.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

ALready been done....VenMo

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Just some light reading on SSYS and DDD.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2050213 ... -long-term

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

Blue horseshoe likes infinera INFN.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

go birds wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:
as someone who has used WhatsApp, it's actually pretty cool because you can group group text between different types of phones which is a pain in the ass otherwise.

The only other apps that i know of that you can do that with is google hangouts, which sucks and bb messenger for iphone which is god awful.

but yea, back to the original point...$19 billion? cmon GRB let's all brainstorm, contact with each other, develop the app, ???, profit.
I could send group MMS texts with the stock texting app that came with my android phone (those would count against my texting limit though). It is not great but it works. Hangouts does suck, but it can do it, too....now. When Hangouts first tried to add that functionality late last year it failed on certain phones (like mine). So I had to deactivate that feature. It took them a few months but the latest update seems to have it working finally. So if it took Google a couple months to figure this out is must be kind of a nasty coding problem. Not one that's worth $19 billion, though.