Rant: home improvement shows

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Rant: home improvement shows

Post by IMADreamer »

With the exception of Cardinals baseball I bet my TV has only been tuned to HGTV or DIY Network for the last 10 years. I don't watch those shows, but my gf loves them. My last gf loved them too. Is this a girl thing or do I have some weird subconscious attraction to girls who like home improvement shows?

The worst is that stupid house hunters show. "We are here with Loren and Jacob who are shopping for their first home and have a budget of 7.8 million dollars. Loren is going to find out she may have to compromise on her diamond encrusted beday (SP?) if she wants to live in the hip neighborhood."

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Rant: home improvement shows

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

My wife loves HGTV too. Its a chick thing.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I just don't like how 99% of the shows that are supposed to be about home improvement projects (as opposed to just real estate, like House Hunters) don't teach jack squat about actually doing home improvement. They are all about whatever personality is the star of that show, and wow! at the end of the show the house/room/whatever is so beautiful! Couldn't they at least have a few shows that still give details about how to do projects?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Popeye_Card wrote:I just don't like how 99% of the shows that are supposed to be about home improvement projects (as opposed to just real estate, like House Hunters) don't teach jack squat about actually doing home improvement. They are all about whatever personality is the star of that show, and wow! at the end of the show the house/room/whatever is so beautiful! Couldn't they at least have a few shows that still give details about how to do projects?
Luckily someone created youtube precisely for the reason of showing dumbasses like myself all the details.

I can't imagine how people owned homes pre youtube.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Apparently I like chic shows. I don't like the fake drama, like when they "uncover" unexpected problems (that I saw when they walked in the house and that any decent inspection would catch), but I like seeing the process of taking apart and putting a home back together, and how they incorporate design elements into styles of homes. My wife and I really liked Rehab Addict. That "star" loves rehabbing to the age of the house, though they do play up the "single mom" sthick too much. (Just asFixer Upper obsessed about how family oriented the husband and wife are)

As to the details of the projects, I don't think they are intended to be tutorials, and there isn't really that much that's complicated about demoing walls and cabinets, and putting up drywall and cabinets. Usually if they find something weird, they show it. A lot of times, if stuff is rotted or torn up, you demo and replace. In my few years of handyman side work and home ownership, most things aren't too complicated, and youtube can show you the way.

For the things too complicated for you, hire an expert. But if it won't burn the house down or flood it, you can probably fix it without too many problems.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Popeye_Card wrote:I just don't like how 99% of the shows that are supposed to be about home improvement projects (as opposed to just real estate, like House Hunters) don't teach jack squat about actually doing home improvement. They are all about whatever personality is the star of that show, and wow! at the end of the show the house/room/whatever is so beautiful! Couldn't they at least have a few shows that still give details about how to do projects?

It has been a long time since I've seen HGTV, but I'm pretty sure that's what the channel was when it started 20-ish years ago. At least, that's what I remember my dad watching. It decayed along the way somewhere.

Anyhow, I agree with the initial rant. It's also part of the reason I can't stand cooking shows where the kitchen is roughly the size of my backyard. Can you just show a family like mine, where combined we earn about $80K a year, and some affordable midsize projects?

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

IMADreamer wrote:With the exception of Cardinals baseball I bet my TV has only been tuned to HGTV or DIY Network for the last 10 years. I don't watch those shows, but my gf loves them. My last gf loved them too. Is this a girl thing or do I have some weird subconscious attraction to girls who like home improvement shows?

The worst is that stupid house hunters show. "We are here with Loren and Jacob who are shopping for their first home and have a budget of 7.8 million dollars. Loren is going to find out she may have to compromise on her diamond encrusted beday (SP?) if she wants to live in the hip neighborhood."

Right on. I hate those shows and my wife watches them every night. They are nothing more than shallow people [expletive] about houses while they look at them.

My favorite is when they rule houses out because they don't like the color of this room or that or they don't like a ceiling fan. You are going to drop 2 million on a house and you don't have the vision to spend $200 on a can of paint and a ceiling fan.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I do like how every couple needs to have a great space to entertain. Who is having all of these house parties all the time? Just once I would like to see a couple who is seeking a closed floor plan with lots of walls, and a tiny kitchen because they have no friends. I guess that's what Tiny House Hunters is for.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Popeye_Card wrote:I do like how every couple needs to have a great space to entertain. Who is having all of these house parties all the time? Just once I would like to see a couple who is seeking a closed floor plan with lots of walls, and a tiny kitchen because they have no friends. I guess that's what Tiny House Hunters is for.

Yes! I've said that before too. Who the hell wants that many people at their house all the time?

The comment about paint is funny too. It cracks me up how they are all like "oh it doesn't have stainless steel appliances." I mean you're buying a 2 million dollar house, I'd think if you have to have stainless appliances you could probably go get that for a tiny fraction of the price.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Love it or list it is a microcosm why you might be better off single.