100,000 giant bats have invaded a town in Australia

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

100,000 giant bats have invaded a town in Australia

Post by Michael »

Rockford, IL is no longer the worst place to live in the world:
Batemans Bay, a town in Australia, has a super high batting percentage right now. Literally: 100,000 giant bats with 3-foot wingspans have taken over the town and won’t leave.

One of the residents told Sky News, “I can’t open the windows, I can’t use the clotheslines, it’s just, I can’t study because the noise just goes constantly. I can’t concentrate. It’s not fun.”

These creatures are called grey-headed flying foxes, and, according to animal rights groups, there’s not much the residents can do about it. The bats will just move on when they are ready to move on.

Look at these massive animals:

Link

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: 100,000 giant bats have invaded a town in Australia

Post by JL21 »

It's like a terrifying chihuahua with wings.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

This was on another thread somewhere, but definitely needs it's own. Have you ever looked into the scary ass [expletive] that lives in Australia? If you list the most dangerous scary damn things that live in the world, 95% of of them are in Australia. Spiders, snakes, sharks, killer [expletive] n' snails, turkey like birds that can literally kill you, jellyfish, and the list goes on and on.

Australia? No thank you. I'll pass on visiting that place.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Crikey! That's almost as terrifying as a Crocodile Dundee movie.

DownUnderDon
Fringe Major League Player

Post by DownUnderDon »

The Fruitbats or Flying foxes show up out of nowhere, pillage local orchards & move on just as quickly. They make a spectacular sight at sunset as they fly low overhead in their thousands from their roosts to their feeding areas.

Australia has no really dangerous mammals like bears or big cats, so we make up for it with snakes & spiders. Thankfully we have developed antivenins for most of our poisonous critters, no surprise that Australia is one of the world leaders in the field. Deaths are uncommon these days although a guy I went to school with lost his young daughter to a Brown Snake a few years ago at a local picnic area.

Perhaps our scariest animal is the Blue Ringed Octopus, one bite from it & you're pretty much finished as there is no antidote. Very common in rockpools at the beach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Less decisive than most mound charges.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I'm not sure which is the most scary.....a. the 2 snakes b. the kitchen itself c. the fact he knew one of the snakes lived in his ceiling