The king is dead, long live the king!

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Michael
GRB Founder

The king is dead, long live the king!

Post by Michael »

The past week since my announcement of GRB’s closure has been a whirlwind. I was floored by the outpouring of kind words from everyone. You made me realize GRB is an incredible community and I couldn’t let it die. That’s why when I was presented with a great opportunity to start a new chapter for GRB I knew I had to take it.

I’m excited to announce our longtime member Kyle will become the new owner of GRB! I truly believe Kyle has the makeup and the skillset to be a strong administrator to lead this board in future.

What does this mean over the next few weeks?

-Effective immediately Kyle will become co-admin of GRB
-On Sunday, August 21st the moderators and I will step down, and Kyle will have a new moderating team in place

I want to address is the mods and myself stepping down. I’m genuinely excited that Kyle is stepping in as the owner of GRB and I want to give him the opportunity to shape the board in his vision by putting his own moderating team in place. The mods stepping down is 100% my decision and something the current moderating team supports. It in no way reflects Kyle’s opinion on any previous moderators or the current moderating staff’s opinion of Kyle. This is a big love fest :D

I’d once again like to thank everyone for all your support throughout the years. I also want to give the most love to my past and present moderators. Your selfless dedication to make GRB a great place to hang out cannot be commended enough.

Finally, I’d like to congratulate Kyle on his new role and thank him for stepping up to keep this community going! I wish him nothing but success in his new endeavor!

It’s been a wonderful ride!

-Michael

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Re: The king is dead, long live the king!

Post by Bo Hart »

In April 2006, Michael and I were having a seemingly-innocuous conversation through instant messaging. Suddenly, he mentioned an idea he had brewing in his head: he wanted to start a new Cardinals message board. I scoffed at the idea, expressing skepticism over there being a need for it. "There are already multiple Cardinals message boards out there", I thought, "why would anyone choose to come here over an established board?"

Well, here we are over ten years later, and I'm eating crow. Gateway Redbirds has carved itself out a successful niche among passionate Cardinals fans, and spawned a genuinely great community. By any measure, the site has been a tremendous success.

When Michael announced the news of shutting down the site, I reached out to him and expressed tenuous interest in keeping things going on. After a few discussions and hammering out some details, we came to an agreement. I guess it's fitting that he would grant me this opportunity, considering I was the second registered user of the site -- that's worth first dibs, right?

While I plan to keeping GRB largely the same, there are some exciting improvements I plan on implementing that I think will benefit the site. I will unveil plans for these in the coming days/weeks, so stay tuned.

Thank you, Michael, for the opportunity, and thank you to the entire GRB community for helping build something worth keeping.

I'm excited about the future of GRB, and I hope the community is as well. Here's to another successful ten years!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Well, I'll be damned. Kyle. Right on.

Thanks again, Michael. I hope you plan on sticking around between poker and foreign treks.
Last edited by lukethedrifter on August 7 16, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Wow. Impressive. Very cool. Thanks.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

This is good news, and I'm looking forward to being a regular old pleb for a while.

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Post by Numbers »

I'm down with this, but dang it eventually I want a personalized poster status :)

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

Excellent news! Now I don't have to find new digs to get my Cards' fix. Congrats, Kyle!

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Great news!!! Glad to have you as the new leader, Kyle. Excited that GRB is sticking around.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Need a gif of that dad from the Goonies ripping up the contract.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'm hoping this means more kyle threads like 'my sssiters emiale dogging'