GRB 2.0 Thoughts

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

GRB 2.0 Thoughts

Post by 33anda3rd »

Kyle, thanks for saving the day. I have a suggestion for GRB2.0, thought I'd toss up a thread here in case anyone else has ideas, though I'm sure you have your own roadmap and I look forward to seeing what you do.

Split up social. Have one thing that's called "Entertainment." For music, movies, TV, internet videos, the babe pics thread, stuff like that. Have one thing that's called "Politics" that's for Obamacare, Elections, social issues that are political in nature and not entertainment. Have a third that's "Social" and that's for BSing and discussing stuff like beer, smoking meat, the reproductive power of the wart family, chiropractors, ear wax removal, etc. Anything that's not entertainment or political.

I think the separation of political is the clutch thing here. Maybe some members go in to "Social" thinking they'll talk beer or gripe about the weather and then they see that shiny object, that Election thread with four new pages since the last time they were here, and the most recent poster boy oh boy it looks like it's that one guy I disagree with usually re politics so let's go see what that guy is saying and it sucks them right in and sometimes brings out the worst in them. By removing it from other social stuff maybe it will help some to stay out of those discussions in which they are not their best message-board selves and help us maintain the friendly nature of the board that we got back the last week or two.

Also: everybody. Would be v cool if in GRB2.0 we had individual TV and movies and music discussions. I don't really go in those threads b/c they are soooooooooo long and if I wanted to discuss, say, Stranger Things, I'd have to go through pages and pages of stuff that's about shows I'm not interested in. But that's a show that could hold it's own thread, along with several others. Kyle: would be great to see the TV and Movies threads locked and archived, with you and the new team of mods encouraging separate discussions to make the board easier to navigate for those seeking discussion about these topics.

Thanks for listening.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: GRB 2.0 Thoughts

Post by GeddyWrox »

++

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

I think a separate entertainment forum would be pretty conducive for splitting out threads

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Or don't lock/archive the old tv/movies threads, but everybody just use them for the tv shows and movies that don't deserve their own thread. If you're first to discuss something that's awesome like Broad City or The Night Of or Eastbound and Down by all means start up a new thread.

Thanks again for listening.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I'm not sure how most people navigate the forum. I hit "View active topics" so it effectively eliminates the subforums altogether. Rarely do I load the site, choose a forum, then go to that forum, leave and go to another forum. So doing it that way, subforums don't do much of anything.

If I were to go in one forum at a time, it just seems to me that more of them would be a pain. From a mod perspective, it depends how much you care about stuff staying on topic. You need to set people's expectations on how tightly you'll moderate that. Also as a mod, I find I question myself enough wondering - is this ok? are we letting people get away with too much? too controlling? And having a politics forum with a whole other set of rules seems problematic.

I'm not against it as a future plain old citizen, just skeptical that it changes much of anything.

Show threads would be good. I think people just figure there may only be a few other people interested, or they're trying to get others interested. The TV thread is kind of ridiculous though.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I'm sure the politics threads should have their own special little place (in hell)

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

There's got to be a way from hiding certain subforums from appearing in the "view new" searches

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Schlich wrote:There's got to be a way from hiding certain subforums from appearing in the "view new" searches
I wouldn't want that for myself. I suppose if you could have something like a customized feed, it might work. Pretty sure you can't do that currently.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

ghostrunner wrote:I'm not sure how most people navigate the forum. I hit "View active topics" so it effectively eliminates the subforums altogether. Rarely do I load the site, choose a forum, then go to that forum, leave and go to another forum. So doing it that way, subforums don't do much of anything.

If I were to go in one forum at a time, it just seems to me that more of them would be a pain. From a mod perspective, it depends how much you care about stuff staying on topic. You need to set people's expectations on how tightly you'll moderate that. Also as a mod, I find I question myself enough wondering - is this ok? are we letting people get away with too much? too controlling? And having a politics forum with a whole other set of rules seems problematic.

I'm not against it as a future plain old citizen, just skeptical that it changes much of anything.

Show threads would be good. I think people just figure there may only be a few other people interested, or they're trying to get others interested. The TV thread is kind of ridiculous though.
I navigate the same way. And I would have the same qualms about having a more "hands off" approach to a particular subforum. Sure, you know you have to have thicker skin going in, but we all know whatever happens in those conversations will likely bleed over into baseball and other conversations. The political threads could really explode even more than they already do.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I get what you're saying but I don't use that view, I go into the topics. When I first came here, I almost never left BT or minor league. 82.77% of the posts on my middle54 handle are in BT, and the most active thread I was in was the Mothergrabber one in the minor league forum. I'd be surprised if I even went into Social or Rants or Interviews my first like 3 years here. I went where I was interested in chatting on the board, and that was baseball.

I think that the thing you're describing, for that kind of user who looks at active forums only, the splitting forums doesn't help but also doesn't hurt. For the user who goes by forum, it helps.