Changes to "Social" (Political threads, etc)

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Re: Changes to "Social" (Political threads, etc)

Post by TheoSqua »

docellis wrote:I bet this works in real life, too. All my neighbors are poor as [expletive] and don't want to talk about politics either. If any of them decided they cared, maybe they could change a policy that keeps them poor.

Who gives a [expletive]! Right! Lets keep politics away from our [expletive] fun!
At the top of the site it says "A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!". That's the focus of this forum and the reason the community exists.

My opinion is we're losing quality baseball posts because of a difference of opinion on politics. This isn't a political forum. It's baseball first, other posts second. So if our secondary subjects are negatively impacting the purpose of the community then why do we have them?

In your example, in a neighborhood politics should be more important than baseball. On a forum dedicated to baseball discussion that isn't the case. I personally wish we could avoid the bad blood that happens in our politics forums and focus on the baseball conversations that make this such a special place. I don't want to hear opinions on gun laws and abortions on here. I want to know what people think about Grichuk's bipolar season and how that will transfer to next year. But we currently have a lot more opinions here on gun laws than we do on Grichuk's season and that's disappointing to me.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

TheoSqua wrote:
docellis wrote:I bet this works in real life, too. All my neighbors are poor as [expletive] and don't want to talk about politics either. If any of them decided they cared, maybe they could change a policy that keeps them poor.

Who gives a [expletive]! Right! Lets keep politics away from our [expletive] fun!
At the top of the site it says "A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!". That's the focus of this forum and the reason the community exists.

My opinion is we're losing quality baseball posts because of a difference of opinion on politics. This isn't a political forum. It's baseball first, other posts second. So if our secondary subjects are negatively impacting the purpose of the community then why do we have them?

In your example, in a neighborhood politics should be more important than baseball. On a forum dedicated to baseball discussion that isn't the case. I personally wish we could avoid the bad blood that happens in our politics forums and focus on the baseball conversations that make this such a special place. I don't want to hear opinions on gun laws and abortions on here. I want to know what people think about Grichuk's bipolar season and how that will transfer to next year. But we currently have a lot more opinions here on gun laws than we do on Grichuk's season and that's disappointing to me.
Good post. I wonder if the politics forum will die down come January 2017, once the debacle of the election is over?

Also, this Cardinals team just isn't much fun IMO and the manager is worse. That may contribute to the lack of discussion.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The Cardinals being meh and the insane election we have going definitely is why I post more in politics. It will die down after November unless we have a replay of the 2000 election.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

pioneer98 wrote:The Cardinals being meh and the insane election we have going definitely is why I post more in politics. It will die down after November unless we have a replay of the 2000 election.
Yeah, I think this summer has kind of been the perfect storm. I hope some of the guys who are really good baseball posters come back after the election. I miss reading their thoughts.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

I like the two separate. I've posted in politics more then I anticipated but it is easy to ignore if I'm in the mood to where before it wasn't.