Keith Law's Top 100

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Keith Law's Top 100

Post by lukethedrifter »

Interesting mix as well. Perez is as low as he is because of a low floor due to age/questions about work ethic/PED issue but has a incredible ceiling. Kelly is a totally different story with a middle floor due to what he's been able to accomplish in 3 years as a catcher but still has a very high ceiling if hitting comes and defense keeps on current trajectory. Looks like Flaherty is moving the right direction as well.
I like it so far.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

And there should be two more names on the list that will be coming up. Possibly 3 if Law thinks Bader is the real deal, although I would say that's highly unlikely.

Still, we should at least see Weaver and Reyes towards the top of the rankings.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Swirls wrote:And there should be two more names on the list that will be coming up. Possibly 3 if Law thinks Bader is the real deal, although I would say that's highly unlikely.

I'm going to be a bit surprised if he has Weaver or Bader ranked.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I'm going to be a bit surprised if he has Weaver or Bader ranked.
Why not Weaver?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Swirls wrote:And there should be two more names on the list that will be coming up. Possibly 3 if Law thinks Bader is the real deal, although I would say that's highly unlikely.

I'm going to be a bit surprised if he has Weaver or Bader ranked.
I think there's about a zero percent chance he has Bader ranked inside the top 50 or whatever he's up to now. But Weaver was a consensus Top 100 prospect going into last year before having demonstrated success at the major league level. Personally I would be more surprised to see him left out of the rankings entirely than to have him be a Top 50 or whatever prospect now.

If he slipped for whatever reason, he should have still stayed in the Top 100 - which would have caused him to have shown up already as #75 or #80 or something.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

Anything today?

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I actually see Perez having the bat speed and athleticism to project for solid power. I wrote this prior to his debut as well, so it's not just results based.

The big question is whether he wants it. A 70 run, 60 field, 70 throw, 50 hit, 50 power SS is a superstar. Basically that's Lindor-lite.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

10. Alex Reyes, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 185

Top level: MLB | 2016: 8

Reyes nearly lost his rookie eligibility in 2016, missing the cutoff by four innings, but he heads into 2017 with a likely spot in the St. Louis rotation and as one of the early favorites for the NL Rookie of the Year award. Reyes will show No. 1 starter stuff, starting with a power fastball he dials up to 94-98 mph when he starts, and to 96-101 mph when he worked a short outing at the Futures Game last year. He mixes in a plus-plus changeup and a hard but average curveball that he tends to cast rather than finishing out front. His fastball and changeup miss bats, and the breaking ball could get there as well.

Reyes has a short stride and lands stiffly, which is why the curveball doesn’t have the bite you would expect at 75-80 mph, and his fastball often rides up in the zone. Short striders are prone to those command issues and to shoulder problems, and Reyes missed part of 2015 with a sore shoulder, then missed the start of 2016 after a suspension for marijuana (which is unrelated to the short stride, I think). There’s more risk to Reyes than other prospects with No. 1 starter potential, but he has as much upside as they do, with command and that inconsistent breaking ball keeping him from being an ace at the moment.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Weaver missed Law's top 100.

I'm surprised because he was still on a lot of mid-season top 100's despite his injury last year. HIs first six starts were pretty good in the majors and he pitched well in AA.

Interesting, any ideas why?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

vinsanity wrote:Weaver missed Law's top 100.

I'm surprised because he was still on a lot of mid-season top 100's despite his injury last year. HIs first six starts were pretty good in the majors and he pitched well in AA.

Interesting, any ideas why?

Well, he wasn't anywhere on Law's 100 last year. I see Reyes dropped 2 spots. And Marco dropped off the map, deservedly so.