2016-17 NBA Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
BW23
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2016-17 NBA Season

Post by BW23 »

Porter is about to get paid more than I ever thought he would, and I've loved the kid since he was 15.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Fun stuff about Otto Porter.

Porter's eFG% (effective Field Goal %, which allows for 3's being worth a point more than 2s) is .632 this year. That is the highest of any non-big (ie not counting all C and PF who take all their shots at the rim) with at least 100 FGA attempts on the year.

Next best is Korver at .618

Then Durant at .595

That Otto takes 10+ shots/game and his eFG% is 37 points higher than Durant's is pretty phenomenal. Otto is not a guy a lot of people talk about because he's on a team with two guys who have big usage factors in Wall (30.5%, 12th in NBA) and Beal (26.4%, 41st in NBA), the former of whom is in the conversation for MVP this year. Even Markieff Morris (21.4%) gets more usage than Otto (15.4%). But Otto is better than any other non-big in the NBA at turning the usage he does get into points. This has a lot to do with 3s--Otto has the best 3PFG% of any player in the NBA to have taken 100 or more 3s--49 points higher than Curry even.

It's weird, as good as the Wiz have been in the calendar year, but if they got Otto the ball a bit more they might actually be a lot better.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Wasn't Porter headed to Mizzou when Mike Anderson was still there, then when he bailed and went to Arkansas he flipped to Georgetown? Am I making this up? Is this why I dislike Otto?

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Imagaine if the Cavs picked Otto instead of Anthony Bennett with the 1-1 pick after Porter had been Big East Player Of The Year and a finalist for both the Naismith and Wooden Awards.

And then also I guess if the Cavs had not traded Wiggins for K-Love. Would LeBron/Kyrie/Wiggins/Otto/Thompson as a front five be a Dubs-level club?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

themiddle54 wrote:Imagaine if the Cavs picked Otto instead of Anthony Bennett with the 1-1 pick after Porter had been Big East Player Of The Year and a finalist for both the Naismith and Wooden Awards.

And then also I guess if the Cavs had not traded Wiggins for K-Love. Would LeBron/Kyrie/Wiggins/Otto/Thompson as a front five be a Dubs-level club?
Not sure they would have been able to draft Wiggins if they already had Porter.

I dunno. Maybe they would have.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Tim wrote:Wasn't Porter headed to Mizzou when Mike Anderson was still there, then when he bailed and went to Arkansas he flipped to Georgetown? Am I making this up? Is this why I dislike Otto?
I think so.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many people eat [expletive] on Porter.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Tim wrote:Wasn't Porter headed to Mizzou when Mike Anderson was still there, then when he bailed and went to Arkansas he flipped to Georgetown? Am I making this up? Is this why I dislike Otto?
He never committed to MU. IIRC, Haith was hired the week schools could make official visits. On that day, I believe JTIII from Georgetown showed up to Porter's house, and Danny Manning showed up for KU. Nobody showed up for MU or even called.

Georgetown was the first team to ever make contact with Otto, and they were always first on his list. Anderson's exit and Haith showing no interest made it pretty easy. The thing MU had going for them was for Otto Sr and his wife to be able to make it easily to home games, and Jr liked Anderson.

Otto didn't have a ton of interest. He didn't do that big AAU circuit. He preferred to play in the summers with his teammates to be better prepared at winning state championships. Georgetown had the in early on because one of their assistants was the guy who took over for Otto Sr at TRCC back in the day, and they had a connection. KU was in on him early because Self had a coaches clinic at SEMO and got to see him play. Anderson got to see him during his state title runs in Columbia.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

BW23 wrote:
He never committed to MU. IIRC, Haith was hired the week schools could make official visits. On that day, I believe JTIII from Georgetown showed up to Porter's house, and Danny Manning showed up for KU. Nobody showed up for MU or even called.

Georgetown was the first team to ever make contact with Otto, and they were always first on his list. Anderson's exit and Haith showing no interest made it pretty easy. The thing MU had going for them was for Otto Sr and his wife to be able to make it easily to home games, and Jr liked Anderson.

Otto didn't have a ton of interest. He didn't do that big AAU circuit. He preferred to play in the summers with his teammates to be better prepared at winning state championships. Georgetown had the in early on because one of their assistants was the guy who took over for Otto Sr at TRCC back in the day, and they had a connection. KU was in on him early because Self had a coaches clinic at SEMO and got to see him play. Anderson got to see him during his state title runs in Columbia.
That makes a lot of sense. If IIRC he showed zero interest in Arkansas when CMA was hired. I can see why now. Tough for parents to make it to Fayetteville I suppose.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

I'm trying to look back. He may have committed to MU verbally on Twitter before CMA was fired. And honestly, with the timing and the way it was all handled, I don't blame him for changing his mind.

A lot of people in the know were shocked about Georgetown actually landing him. More came out after the announcement that their early interest and sustained interest is what won him over. At the time, after the MU fiasco, people actually thought he might go to SEMO just so his parents could watch. They're that tight.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

As a Chicagoan who is happy when the local teams do well, I'm glad the Bulls pulled one off v the Celtics tonight.

As an NBA fan who likes stuff to run properly, that foul call that put Jimmy Buckets at the line with 0.9 seconds remaining tonight was a [expletive] garbage call and the kind of thing the league should review, and discipline the refs over, because their horrible decision provided the outcome in an otherwise tight game.