Alex Reyes out for season (page 8)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Alex Reyes out for season (page 8)

Post by heyzeus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
I'm probably missing something but that doesn't jibe with this.
The success rate for any pitcher between 16 and 23 is low. Most pitchers in that age range fall into the category of prospects, and we all know pitching prospects have a low success rate, and many that even make it to the bigs may do so as relievers, which would further reduce the average number of innings thrown post-surgery.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Until there's a way to separate starters from relievers when it comes to post TJS, it's impossible to really gauge any stats and come up with any real meaningful information.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Yeah, that stat doesn't bother me since as was mentioned, most of the guys in that age range who have the surgery have not and may never have had an impact at the MLB level anyway.

And 9 years isn't a bad career either to be honest.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

Yeah, 9 years makes no sense since the average career length period isn't close to 9 years. Since that tweet cites a doctor, maybe it is based on something like average time to recurrence of the injury or something like that.

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

go birds wrote:i dont think anyone here hates him for being a bible thumper, but its fair to criticize him for seemingly forcing his religious beliefs on the entire clubhouse
I certainly could have missed or glossed over it, but what evidence of him "forcing" his beliefs on others has there been? I know there's speculation some guys don't want to play for him due to the religious clubhouse thing, but I'm not sure I associated that with anyone forcing their beliefs on anyone else. I guess I considered it more of a clubhouse vibe with the number of religious guys there were + MM.

Edit to answer the original MM question... I would absolutely take the loss of Reyes for the year (as much as it blows), for Matheny to get a pink slip.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I'm sure no one holds a gun to a new player's head while they lead bible study and play ultimate frisbee, but I guarantee that feeling like you're at an FCA meeting is unavoidable at times. I think that goes for most college and professional sports teams though to at least some extent.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Wouldn't the 9-year average include guys who effectively never came back?

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

haltz wrote:I'm sure no one holds a gun to a new player's head while they lead bible study and play ultimate frisbee, but I guarantee that feeling like you're at an FCA meeting is unavoidable at times. I think that goes for most college and professional sports teams though to at least some extent.
I absolutely agree if you weren't a "believer" it could easily present an uncomfortable atmosphere due to the type of activities that are, or I guess are not, present in the clubhouse, but I also wouldn't classify something like that as forcing one's beliefs on another.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Pudgelewis wrote:
haltz wrote:I'm sure no one holds a gun to a new player's head while they lead bible study and play ultimate frisbee, but I guarantee that feeling like you're at an FCA meeting is unavoidable at times. I think that goes for most college and professional sports teams though to at least some extent.
I absolutely agree if you weren't a "believer" it could easily present an uncomfortable atmosphere due to the type of activities that are, or I guess are not, present in the clubhouse, but I also wouldn't classify something like that as forcing one's beliefs on another.
yeah, but then a christian could also feel uncomfortable in an environment where people are listening to songs with cussing, players cussing, talking about [expletive] and ass, and who they [expletive] last night.

Pudgelewis
Perennial All-Star

Post by Pudgelewis »

cardsfantx wrote:
Pudgelewis wrote:
yeah, but then a christian could also feel uncomfortable in an environment where people are listening to songs with cussing, players cussing, talking about [expletive] and ass, and who they [expletive] last night.
That's certainly true, also. I'm just sure it's more one way or the other sometimes depending on the players you've got. And I also imagine it's a little more pronounced when the manager leans heavily to one side and there's a good number of "Bible Thumpers" already on the team.