United Airlines, I hate you deeply.

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: United Airlines, I hate you deeply.

Post by G. Keenan »

tlombard wrote:I flew out to Boston last week on United for work and I have no complaints.
Hey! Don't defile my thread with examples of United not sucking.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

OK then. The flight attendants weren't hot chicks and two of them were dudes.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

tlombard wrote:OK then. The flight attendants weren't hot chicks and two of them were dudes.
I'm glad when they're not hot because no-one looks or feels their best in a cramped airplane for multiple hours. Give me an attendant who looks like they understand.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Guess what? United, American and Delta's "basic economy" airfare where you basically get made into a [expletive] isn't actually cheaper after all... it's just a way to raise standard airfares.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/20/520579728 ... -you-think

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Guess what? United, American and Delta's "basic economy" airfare where you basically get made into a [expletive] isn't actually cheaper after all... it's just a way to raise standard airfares.

I don't see anything really surprising in this. Those basic economy fares were made specifically to compete with the ULC (ultra low cost) carriers like Spirit and Frontier that charge you for literally everything under the sun (hell, Spirit charges you just to print your damn boarding pass).

In their defense, all of their ancillary costs are usually specified up front.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swirls wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Guess what? United, American and Delta's "basic economy" airfare where you basically get made into a [expletive] isn't actually cheaper after all... it's just a way to raise standard airfares.

I don't see anything really surprising in this. Those basic economy fares were made specifically to compete with the ULC (ultra low cost) carriers like Spirit and Frontier that charge you for literally everything under the sun (hell, Spirit charges you just to print your damn boarding pass).

But if my reading of the article is correct, the basic economy fares aren't cheaper than the prior lowest fares.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Swirls wrote:

But if my reading of the article is correct, the basic economy fares aren't cheaper than the prior lowest fares.
They are not. Basic economy was advertised as "well, you get to fly for cheap, but you get no amenities (which really aren't amenities at all, they're standard features)."

A basic economy fare on United in about a month will cost you the same as a standard economy fare does now... the one where you get to pick your seat, have a carry-on, etc. Naturally, you can assume the standard economy cost is going to go up too.

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

My dad and mom, who are 75 and 73, respectively, flew up to the Northeast to visit my niece and then go to Cooperstown to visit the Hall of Fame. They were flying this morning out of Albany to Philadelphia to STL, supposed to be here at 12:26. The flight out of Albany was delayed by about 30 minutes and they missed their connection in Philly by about 15 minutes. Of course it left on time. They were #3 and 4 standby for 1:50 ET flight. Didn't make it. There's another 5:15 ET flight and it is full. On standby again but doesn't look good. I am feeling for them right now....

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He was bumped for UA employees. Airlines should have to pay dearly for knowingly overbooking.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

So Heyzeus, how much will the settlement be?