This one I can't joke about. Chris Cornell

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: This one I can't joke about. Chris Cornell

Post by stlouie_lipp »

This is kind of hitting me hard. Soundgarden was my band. Out of that whole "grunge" scene, they were my band. In the dorms in 1991-92 everyone was on Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains...but Soundgarden was always my favorite. That never changed. I always thought the grunge tag never really fit them. I always thought they were more of a metal band with a bit of grunge on the edge.

Last time I saw them was February 1, 2013 in Milwaukee. They played 27 songs over 3 hours; 5 of which were from "Louder Than Love". They closed with "Flower" and "Beyond the Wheel" from Ultramega OK. It was the perfect Soundgarden concert for me.

This sucks.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I got a text from my buddy first thing in the morning that said "Chris Cornell is dead, today sucks."

I'm not going to pretend to be a huge fan of Soundgarden but I certainly liked them. I do really like Audioslave as they are a band that came along when I was in a bit of a malaise with music.

I feel like I missed out on grunge by a year. Sure I had all the big CD's, Nirvana's Nevermind, Pearl Jam's Ten, and of course Soundgardens' Badmotofinger, but everyone did. I had a lot of friends that were a year older than me and they all got into grunge and subsequently we grew apart. I'm not saying it was because of grunge but they started dressing grunge, and acting grunge, and eventually they went down a much different path than I did. As stupid as it sounds, to some extent I always had a bit of a dislike for grunge after that because I lost my friends to it. Stupid now, but as a 12 year old I don't know. That era really saw me get into The Who and Pink Floyd. Probably because of my love for the bass guitar.

Anyway, no point to any of that. I just find it interesting how music impacts our lives and sticks with us forever. I've enjoyed hearing your storied about Soundgarden. Chris Cornell was no doubt a voice of his generation much in the way that someone like Joe Cocker or Robert Plant was. You hear him and you instantly know whose singing.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

He's most going to be remembered for Soundgarden but he had a good run as the frontaman of Audioslave.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Was talking to my dad yesterday. He has Seger, Springsteen and Fogerty. I got Vedder, Cornell and Weiland.

He still has all 3
I'm stuck with the Cubs fan

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:Being on the other side of 50, I can understand where someone might start feeling the age but not be willing to grow old.
I'm not anything close to suicidal, but the older I get, the more I completely understand someone just being done with living and going out on their own terms.

The last song they played was "In My Time of Dying" which is pretty perfect. In my time of dying I don't want nobody to mourn. All I want for you to do is take my body home. So I can die easy.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

thrill wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:Being on the other side of 50, I can understand where someone might start feeling the age but not be willing to grow old.
I'm not anything close to suicidal, but the older I get, the more I completely understand someone just being done with living and going out on their own terms.

The last song they played was "In My Time of Dying" which is pretty perfect. In my time of dying I don't want nobody to mourn. All I want for you to do is take my body home. So I can die easy.
I don't get it.
I am in pain every day, I have arthritis in my back, and a bum hip, and I am only 46 years old. I would never even think about ending it. I have too many people in my life that would hurt, and I couldn't do that to them. I can't even imagine being is so much emotional pain that I wouldn't think of the other people in my life and just end it.
I guess I am lucky, I can't think of how much pain that would be.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

wart57 wrote:
thrill wrote:

I don't get it.
I am in pain every day, I have arthritis in my back, and a bum hip, and I am only 46 years old. I would never even think about ending it. I have too many people in my life that would hurt, and I couldn't do that to them. I can't even imagine being is so much emotional pain that I wouldn't think of the other people in my life and just end it.
Depression is not an easy thing to deal w/ for some people

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

cardinalkarp wrote:
wart57 wrote:
thrill wrote:

I don't get it.
Depression is not an easy thing to deal w/ for some people
I know, I have close relatives who battle with it every day. I can't even imagine how difficult it is for them.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

thrill wrote:

I get it. Life is hard. Sometimes everyday for long stretches can be a grind and it wears on you. A relative of mine killed himself two weeks ago. He had cancer for the second time, he knew what he was facing. He told me that he didn't know if he could do it again, just didn't have the fight in him. I told him we would miss him dearly if he were to go. I kind of felt like he was going to refuse treatment but I didn't realize he was going to kill himself. A lot of people were upset at him and thought he was selfish. I totally understood though. Life is hard.