GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 23 19, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: July 7 17, 11:21 am 
Hall Of Famer

Michael wrote:
No, they have criminal records:

And aren't citizens. The article discussed support for Trump within the community but not actual votes from the specific people subject to deportations, who can't vote as non-citizens.

PostPosted: July 7 17, 11:47 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Just saying the headline says they voted. I don't know if they did or did not at this point.

PostPosted: July 7 17, 12:39 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Leroy wrote:
Just saying the headline says they voted. I don't know if they did or did not at this point.

OK my bad. I did not read the entire article so posted a falsely captioned hyperlink. I deeply regret my unprofessional internet posting activities. I am resigning my position of internet poster in order to spend more time with my family.

PostPosted: July 7 17, 1:45 pm 

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Leroy wrote:

OK my bad. I did not read the entire article so posted a falsely captioned hyperlink. I deeply regret my unprofessional internet posting activities. I am resigning my position of internet poster in order to spend more time with my family.

FAKE NEWS1!1 SAD. LIKE LADY WHEN FACELIFTED I SAID NO!1

Holy schnikes. I just had an epiphany. Trump is Pinnacle.

PostPosted: July 7 17, 3:20 pm 
just can't quit you.

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Leroy wrote:

Don't quit, just get it right next time....

:cool:

PostPosted: July 9 17, 7:16 pm 
'Burb Boy

PostPosted: July 10 17, 9:33 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

American farmers are facing a political paradox because of Republicans' hard line on immigration

Quote:
Thousands of immigrants have moved to northwest Iowa in recent decades, attracted by farms and meat producers in need of workers willing to raise pigs, milk cows, or butcher animals. Between 2000 and 2015, the Latino population in Sioux Center, one of the larger cities in the district, more than tripled. According to the census, King's district is now home to nearly 50,000 people who consider themselves Hispanic or Latino — about 6% of the area's population.

That means that even some of King's supporters — he took 61% of the vote in November — are being forced to reconcile their conservative politics with a business reality that has taken on a moral weight. They rely on immigrants, and some will go to extraordinary lengths to support them.

Quote:
On nearly every issue, Maassen is a reliably conservative voter. He supported King and Trump in the latest election. He agrees with King's positions on limiting environmental regulation, he said, and on what Maassen refers to as "morality issues" like abortion.

But on immigration, they diverge. For the past 30 years, the Maassen family has been hiring more and more immigrant workers — of the 26 employees currently at Maassen Dairy, 16 are immigrants, mostly from Mexico. The family has even sponsored many to apply for citizenship. Often, that involved accompanying the workers on the more than two-hour drive to the Mexican consulate in Omaha, Nebraska, since there isn't one in Iowa.

The abortion one gets me in the sense that anybody would be fool enough to believe the GOP at large and especially Trump truly gives a [expletive] about this other than for their political vendettas.

PostPosted: July 10 17, 10:25 am 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:

Punishing the immigrants has always been a mystery to me. They are coming here because they can get jobs. Why isn't ICE cracking down on those who hire illegals? Seems it would be a more effective deterrent.

Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on July 10 17, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 10 17, 11:39 am 

They should but they won't. E-verify is worthless, on purpose. The chamber of commerce, etc. (wants cheap labor) gives too much money to politicians.

Plus, if there are jobs out there that we just won't do, we have a real problem. I won't understand that until unemployment is at zero.

PostPosted: July 10 17, 12:16 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Leroy wrote:
They should but they won't. E-verify is worthless, on purpose. The chamber of commerce, etc. (wants cheap labor) gives too much money to politicians.

Plus, if there are jobs out there that we just won't do, we have a real problem. I won't understand that until unemployment is at zero.

Agreed on all counts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next