My prediction: We sign Robert for a total of $65 mil. Yours?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: My prediction: We sign Robert for a total of $65 mil. Yo

Post by Hoot45 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
go birds wrote:I've come to expect that from this regime. They had a nice run. That'll buy them some time because of our naive fanbase. And ultimately they will sell
I wouldn't call the fan base naive. They just love baseball, so they'll continue to go to games, buy merchandise, etc.

Not to mention there's not much competition for the fandom in St. Louis.
The whole "I'm not buying tickets in protest" idea that some people have bothers me. I haven't said much about it because it's not my place to judge how another person supports their team, but I do want to say that baseball to many people means more than winning and losing. It certainly does to me. I love watching live baseball (win or lose, error prone or not) and I love a night out at Busch with friends and family. I'll continue to go to games, buy merchandise, and hope this team wins instead of trying to punch them in the pocketbook or hope for failure so that it all blows up. That's what loving your city and team means to me.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Hoot45 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
go birds wrote:I've come to expect that from this regime. They had a nice run. That'll buy them some time because of our naive fanbase. And ultimately they will sell
I wouldn't call the fan base naive. They just love baseball, so they'll continue to go to games, buy merchandise, etc.

The whole "I'm not buying tickets in protest" idea that some people have bothers me. I haven't said much about it because it's not my place to judge how another person supports their team, but I do want to say that baseball to many people means more than winning and losing. It certainly does to me. I love watching live baseball (win or lose, error prone or not) and I love a night out at Busch with friends and family. I'll continue to go to games, buy merchandise, and hope this team wins instead of trying to punch them in the pocketbook or hope for failure so that it all blows up. That's what loving your city and team means to me.
++++

I don't have to agree with ownership in order to love going to games. I hope the team is successful, and I believe they want to be successful. Sometimes you just gotta take your lumps, even if you're the St. Louis freakin' Cardinals.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Hoot45 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

What should fans do to voice their displeasure? Or should they just appreciate that their city has a team?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Hoot45 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

I think this is a good post, even though I'm down on the team/front office/ownership. I don't think I could bring myself to stop going to games if I can afford it. I'm going to see them when they're in Kansas City next month because that's the only time I can watch them in person.

All that said, the cheapness does bother me. And small as it may be, reducing/withdrawing my financial support is the only way I feel I can share my message with the brass. I didn't renew my MLB.tv membership for the first time. I bought one t-shirt when I used to buy three. I'm not going to make an effort to get to STL. Yeah, it's not a strong protest-- I know I couldn't quit forever-- but I'm frustrated.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

++++

I don't have to agree with ownership in order to love going to games. I hope the team is successful, and I believe they want to be successful. Sometimes you just gotta take your lumps, even if you're the St. Louis freakin' Cardinals.
No doubt. Sometimes you do have to take your lumps. And sometimes lumps can be avoided if you aren't cheap.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Tim wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

What should fans do to voice their displeasure? Or should they just appreciate that their city has a team?

To be honest, I think there are enough "fair weather fans" out there that will stop spending if the team does poorly. The team will eventually feel the impact of that.

As a die-hard fan though (which I am, and I suspect you are, and most of the people on this forum are), I'll keep supporting the team fort he rest of my life. I'll complain when they're bad, and hope they get better, but I won't stop supporting them.

To be perfectly frank, I think the "naive" fans are the ones who think things will always be sunshine & unicorns. The Cards have had a great run, but that can't last forever. I think ownership and upper management can and should do better than they've done the last couple of years, but I ultimately have very little control over that.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Tim wrote:No doubt. Sometimes you do have to take your lumps. And sometimes lumps can be avoided if you aren't cheap.
And sometimes you take lumps even when you aren't cheap. There are plenty of examples of teams throwing around money because they can, and ending up in positions much worse than we are now.

People should do whatever they feel convicted to do to let a business know they don't like the product they're selling. No judgment from me. I'm just saying in all this, I don't support the Cardinals just because they win. They've done well in that department for a long time now, but there was also a long time before that where they didn't do so well. I've loved the time I've had with friends, family, and neighbors through both those stretches. Busch is an excellent gameday experience, and St. Louis is [expletive] great. I'm neither poorer nor richer if the Cardinals win or lose, and I'm certainly not naive just because I like watching my hometown team through the good and bad.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Socnorb11 wrote:I'll keep supporting the team fort he rest of my life. I'll complain when they're bad, and hope they get better, but I won't stop supporting them.
Well said.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

I suppose I feel like cheering for them and purchasing the occasional cap or t shirt is supporting the team, but spending for tickets is a bridge too far for me. I am still going to buy MLB Extra Innings and get all pissy when we lose.

Look, I can handle not being good when I can see that ownership and the front office have a clear direction.

But ownership has accepted a clearly below baseball mind to manage the team and has purposefully chosen not to flex their "payroll muscle" or "leave their comfort zone" to improve the team.

We all see the trajectory of this team. Do any of you really think that ownership would ever make a deal for Giancarlo Stanton, even though we could use him, could trade for him and could afford him?

Have you seen the FA class coming up? None of those guys move the needle.

Now look (goodness I am rambling very inarticulately), I hope I am 100% wrong and will eat crow. I just don't see ownership making a significant move this deadline or offseason. I wish they would fish or cut bait. Trade Lynn, Rosenthal, Oh (he won't fetch anything), and possibly others to improve the system or trade for Stanton and Yellich or Gray.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think that's all perfectly reasonable, Tim. I think we ALL want them to stop riding the fence.